Saturday, April 29, 2006

Weird Things

The fiendish Kate Walker has 'tagged' me to come up with six weird things about myself. And my response to that is, "Only six?"

So, all right. Here are six:
1) I correspond with a cat. (Kate knows this. He's her cat. Or she's his human. His name is Sid and he's quite the most eloquent correspondent I've had the pleasure of communicating with. He's also gorgeous -- and he doesn't even need (or have) a towel. See Hugh-in-the-towel.

2) I don't know that I think capping deodorant bottles during a summer while I was in college is exactly weird. But I did it. And I also got fired from the job for 'not being suited to the line of work.' For which all I can say is, "Thank God." I was glad not to have found my calling on the assembly line at Max Factor.

3) Oh, heck, why not stick in the gunslinger? My gg-grandpa was apparently, according to a cousin, "a gunman." Once she asked him how many men he'd killed and he said, "About 40." It strikes me that someone should remember his name if he was responsible for 40 men dying. But he's a pretty elusive feller. And the fact that is weird, according to my sister, is that I actually find him interesting. She finds him appalling.

4) I love Iowa. Now 3 million or so other people (minus my mother) also love Iowa enough to live here (which is where we live during the school year). But some people find that weird. When you tell them you live in Iowa, they blink and say, "Ohio? Idaho?" No. Iowa. I.O.W.A. Land of green grass and green trees and green crops and blue skies and friendly people. One of the world's best kept secrets because it's NOT dramatic. No one sets movies in Iowa -- except, of course, Field of Dreams, which I was in, by the way. But I love Iowa -- even the winters. So my mother thinks I'm weird. Of course I also love Montana, where we like to be the rest of the year -- which she thinks is also weird.

5) I love Lincolnshire. It's a lot like Iowa. With one very steep hill.

6. I like to mow lawns. No, truly. I do. I am not much of a gardener. I try, but plants see me coming and they die at the sight. But lawns . . . yes, I do like cutting that grass. It looks so orderly when you get finished. I'm not big into Order. But in lawns I think it's a virtue and I like to do my part in establishing it. But I'm not obsessive about it. I also like that for at least 6 months of the year it's either too cold to grow or under a foot of snow. This is perhaps the Iowa farmer in me -- who knew I even had such a recessive gene? -- but I remember going around the Century Farm (one that's been in a family at least 100 years) that belongs to a cousin out in Bremer County and him saying, "I love plowing. I love looking back at all those neat, orderly rows." I knew what he meant. It's pretty recessive in me, but apparently it's there.

Okay, that's six. I'm saving the rest for another day.

And who can I tag? How about Anne Frasier? She may have done it already, having been tagged by someone else. But if so she can just link to it. Anne? How about it?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

Dear Madam,

Communicating with me surely does not count as weird. What, pray is there to find that is weird in communicating with, as you say, quite the most eloquent correspondent you have ever had? I would consider it far more weird not to correspond with me when I am such A Cat of Superior Breeding. And I certainly do not need any towels - they would conceal my fine physique, not to mention the lordly flabsack.

But I am delighted that you have mentioned my gorgeousness on your blog so that more of the world may come to appreciate me.

One small point, dear Madam - in your 'about' column, you mention pompous cats - I do hope that you were not referring to my illustrious self in that way, dear lady? I may have a finely developed sense of my own self-esteem - as I shoudl but I am not, most definitely not - pompous

With affectionate purrs and headbutts

I remain
Yours
Sir Sidney St John Willoughby Portly-Lummox ACOSB

29 April, 2006  
Blogger anne frasier said...

this is like offering me crack. i wrote my last meme three months ago and swore to never write another one. i actually think i did do this particular meme, but i have no idea where it's buried! does it count as a meme if i post it here? maybe half a meme. my hands are shaking....

1) i'm addicted to hand gel. the more you use it, the more you use it.
2) i talk to myself. sometimes in my car, so i then hope the person in the car next to mine will assume i'm accompanied by a baby or dog with a low profile.
3) I like to sit with my back to the wall when i'm in public. always face the door. i learned this trick from old westerns.
4) I see dead people.
5) kidding!
6) i love zombies. i think they're campy.

29 April, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Great, I write to cats and now I offer you crack. I'm getting weirder by the minute. Yes, I think it counts if you write it here. Especially if you have already done it on your blog somewhere else.

thanks!
Anne

30 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home