Saturday, March 10, 2007

Starting 'Em Young

I had an email from my granddaughter today. She sent me a link to a book she reviewed for her local library website. Inasmuch as I think it's a pretty darn good review -- certainly makes me want to read the book -- I thought I'd pass it on.

I told her she could review books here anytime. Her mother says she is more likely to talk about writing reviews than actually writing them . . . Guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree!

For those of you who remember her as a teeny preemie, the one we call Glowkid (on account of her having worn a sort of suit made of light to get rid of jaundice) grew up!

Stephanie reviews Matilda

Meet the library's newest (and youngest) guest reviewer, Stephanie.

Matilda / Roald Dahl ; illustrations by Quentin Blake/Viking Kestrel, c1988. Available @ your library:

Juvenile Fiction JF D131m
Matilda11_2

Hi. My name is Stephanie and I'm in first grade. I will be telling you about an excellent and funny book that I read. It is called Matilda.

It talks about an extraordinary little girl named Matilda whose parents don't care a speMatilda_1ck about her. She has a fabulous teacher named Miss Honey and a terrifying head mistress called the Trunchbull. Her best friend is a girl in her class called Lavender.

Matilda can read really well just like me! My favorite parts are when she stuffed her friend's parrot up the chimney and made her parents think they had burglars and when she put superglue in her Dad's hat. Well, that's all for now. Bye!

9 Comments:

Blogger anne frasier said...

great review!

10 March, 2007  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

Brilliant - I would want to read Matilda, if I already hadn't. Obviously Stephanie being born on RITA night was a great omen. You really won that night - a RITA and a Glowkid!

10 March, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Anne, Yes, I thought it was a great review.

And Kate, you're right. I was definitely a double winner that night -- and the best win was Steph!

11 March, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great review!

My son is in first grade. He will be reading a book to his class today. I'm betting that if I let him read Stephanie's review, he'll want to read Matilda too! I know I do, lol!

Well done Stephanie!!

Lee

12 March, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Lee, what book is your son reading to his class? He sounds like the sort of guy who would like Matilda. Let me know if he reads it. I'm sure Stephanie would like to know her words have inspired someone else to enjoy the book!

12 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How gorgeous is that girl?! And she's obviously inherited the writing gene. Watch out for Anne McAllister mark two!
x Daisy

12 March, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Daze!

Well, she got the reading gene, that's for sure. We'll see what she does over the long haul!

Are you enjoying your new found freedom from your day job? Hope so!

xx
Anne

12 March, 2007  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

A lovely review!!

She has a long and lovely reading career ahead of her. So many fabulous books to read.

13 March, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Michelle, keep writing! She's reading faster than we can keep ahead of her!

Anne

13 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home