Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Off to the Op

Today I get my second cataract operation. This will be, if it works out as well as the last one, a milestone in my life. I will no longer be seeing the world through amber colored glasses.

Before I had the first op, I had no idea I was seeing things with an amber film over them. But the minute I could open my eye (and keep it open for more than a split second) after the first surgery I was amazed at the change in the colors of my world. Blues were really really blue. Not sort of shabby greenish tinted almost grey. And greys were grey. Whites were really white, not yellow. Of course I could close the "new" eye and see things the way they used to be through the old one. And what a different world it was.

Which is why I am opting to do the other eye today. I want the full spectrum. I don't want half my world to be fuzzy and dull unless it has to be. And I'm hoping it doesn't have to be.

Before I go, I want to wish terrific friend and wonderful author Michelle Reid a very happy birthday. The Prof and I and Kate Walker and her husband spent a wonderful couple of days with Michelle and her husband last summer. What fun we had. I looked them up on Google Earth last night -- and smiled just remembering.

And then I remembered Kate's husband driving us through amazing windy little roads to get to Millom (saint that he is) so I could visit the home of my ancestors after they left Cornwall. And what a day we had there, too, with the wonderful Anna Lucia taking time out of her busy life to show us all around. Wish I'd seen the full-color spectrum of Millom (grey, you say?) when I was there. But maybe someday I'll get back.

Jane's book arrived yesterday, the postman apparently finally having finished it and given it his imprimatur. I'm looking at it longingly, but I know if I start I won't want to stop -- and I need to get this cataract off. So, soon, Jane! Soon!

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Styles said...

I hope all goes well, Anne.
It is nice to see everything in full colour and to be able to look up and say -- all the leaves on the uppermost branches as clearly there.

The reason for not getting soap in your eye is the drops make things heal less quickly and so it can several hours/days for shampoo to clear, BUT keep using the drops as they mean the lense will heal properly.

03 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home