Thursday, May 25, 2006

What's a little rewriting . . . or . . . construction metaphors

I noticed the other day that Anna Lucia said she was going to update her word count meter, and then discovered that she'd thrown out so much that all the new stuff she'd written had only managed to get her back to where she'd started.

Ah, yes.

I don't know if it's really called "rewriting" when you totally throw it out and write something else. I don't know if there's a good word for it at all. But sometimes it has to be done. It's what I'm doing right now, because I can't go forward until I go back.

Sometimes writing is like building a house. And you get up a ways and you discover that the foundation you thought was good and solid, isn't so solid at all. It needs work. And so you sort of have to set aside the main floor until you go back and shore up the foundation -- or completely tear it out and put something else in its place.

I'm in the shoring up phase at the moment. It has to do with the backstory. I need some of it, but I don't need too much of it (eventually I will, but just not all at once). And deciding how much needs to go in RIGHT NOW is tricky. Sometimes it's trickier than others. Apparently, because Spence and Sadie have known each other for most of their lives, this is going to be one of those tricky books.

But I'm working on it -- and I'm reminded of the time when I was working on Gifts of the Spirit and I was describing to my editor how many times I'd redone the first chapter which was, at that point, about nine times. She looked horrified and said, "Nine times? You rewrite things nine times?" And I shook my head and said, "Not if I get it right the first time. I rewrite it as many times as I need to until I get it right."

I'm pretty sure she thought there couldn't possibly be eight wrong ways to say something that simple. She'd be surprised.

So . . . back to basement work. Maybe we'll get back on the main floor if things go right today. I hope so.

In the meantime, the map cabinet arrives this evening. I can hardly wait!

9 Comments:

Blogger Tami Klockau said...

Congrats on the map cabinet Anne! I'm very jealous, it's beautiful! Quick question, I'm pretty new to this writing thing. When you do rewrites or start cutting, do you save a new version of it just in case you realize that what you cut does work at some point? Thanks in advance!

25 May, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Tami,

I don't save every version. If I'm making a big cut, I might save it under a different file name and put it in a folder called Spence Stuff and then go back and cannibalize it if I am so inclined. But a lot of it I just delete and work from scratch on. There's very little possibility that the earlier version will be better than the next -- I might go back to it in terms of content, but the writing generally improves along the way. So it's better expressed the tenth time around than it was the first or fifth or ninth.

25 May, 2006  
Blogger anne frasier said...

oh, wow. i've certainly been there as far as throwing everything out. i think we should come up with a name for that. i've thrown on entire books after being half done. ick. i hope that never happens again.

25 May, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Maybe something along the lines of "the wrecking ball theory of rewriting?" That's what it feels like.

There is also the "dead end approach to bookwriting" and the "painting yourself into a corner" approach. I've got lots of experience with them all, sad to say!

Nice to know I have company, Anne!

25 May, 2006  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Ah yes, the Thomas Edison approach to writing -- finding out ways that it doesn't work
Throwing out chunks and rewriting/revisiting can be theraputic to the soul.

25 May, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne, that's a seriously beautiful map cabinet. Probably just as well you don't live over here or I think you, Steve and I would end up having monthly 'jolly' lunches to talk about history and drive a certain Presents author demented. (I believe you're coming over in September, yes? In which case I really look forward to meeting you at the London lunch. We can sneak off and talk history *g*)

With you on the wrecking ball theory. I've been known to rip out half a book - and then some. Satisfying at the end, but the only person allowed in my office on days like that is the dog.

26 May, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Michelle,
Love "the Thomas Edison approach" notion! I have visions of it all being in the dark, which is pretty much the way it is, I fear. Then with luck someone comes and shines a light on something that works.

Anne

26 May, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Kate,

Yes, it is a spectacular map cabinet, but I'm getting a little worried we might have to build it "a room of its own" as it is ENORMOUS! Won't go in the living room (lounge?) because it would become the immediate conversation piece. In the dining room it might do in the far corner where we can replace the desk that is there now.

Yes, looking forward to meeting you in September! It will be great.

Anne

26 May, 2006  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

Excuse me - but a cerain Presents author LIKES history too - just doesn't obsess about it! ;-) But then I would probably also have to say that a certain Presents auhtor is also already demented enough and doesn't need driving any further.

Hmm- September - maybe we could look at being very English and having tea after the lunch ??

26 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home