Thursday, May 18, 2006

A day in the life . . .

Sometimes I wonder why whole days go by and I never seem to be a writer. I start out the day with the best of intentions -- and go to bed with the same intentions for tomorrow (and with the same words unwritten).

What goes on during those days?

Well, there are writing-related chores. There's a piece of software I'm evaluating for the National Genealogical Society's NewsMagazine. It's called Clooz and it's billed as an 'electronic filing cabinet,' and God knows, I need all the help with filing, electronic and otherwise, that I can get.

So I have been immersed in Clooz. There is a fairly steep learning curve with this program. At least steep for me. So I've been spending quite a bit of time figuring it out -- and figuring out how to write about it, what makes it tick and what makes it useful to other researchers. I'm making vast amounts of notes. It takes time. And that's all before I ever sit down to write the article.

And there is the article I am helping edit for The Prof's cousin who is delivering it to a learned group of historians in New York sometime next month. No one wants to sound as if they haven't got all their ducks in a row when they are reading their paper to a bunch of experts -- so I have been doing my best to help with that.

And then there is my mother. She is in some ways a low-key, low maintenance mother. But not because she doesn't try. And even when she is being low-key and low maintenance, she is alone -- and that is, let's face it, lonely.

And there is the house -- and the dogs -- and the rearranging of maps and paintings and oriental rugs. There are friends and kids and grandkids and a husband -- all of whom need periodic attention -- and who make my life far more pleasurable and interesting than it would be if they weren't a part of it. Can't neglect any of them. Don't want to.

But I do want to work on Spence. I want to immerse myself in the book and feel the energy that comes from spending days with the characters, getting involved in their story, knowing instinctively what they would do.

Two articles (mine and the cousin's) and Theo's galleys -- and I will be back, Spence. I promise. And then we will have some quality time. I promise.

2 Comments:

Blogger anne frasier said...

sometimes it really feels good to leave the writer for a few days. she'll still be there when you get back.

18 May, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

I think you're right, Anne. Now I just need to clear the decks and get back to work!

19 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home