Thursday, May 04, 2006

Half a book

The thing about Spence is -- I have half a book. In my head. On paper I have about, oh, maybe a fifth of a book or less. I actually thought I had more than half a book in my head. And it turns out I'm wrong.

This is disconcerting. But it is actually better to have discovered it now than when I am on page 100 and realize that I haven't got a clue where things are going and I'm just going to be paddling my canoe around in circles until I figure it out.

I think that's what Spence and I and the park bench and the scotch bottle were doing -- coming to terms with the fact that, beyond the scotch bottle and the palm trees (no, not in New York, we're moving on from New York) there was . . . nothing. Presumably, yes, there was an ending, but there was this great gaping chasm between the palm trees and the ending.

And now I have to figure out what goes into the chasm.

Backhoes, anyone? No, really. It's time to start thinking what Sadie will be wanting from the rest of her life. Because Sadie is the one who's making the moves now. Maybe if I changed my word counter to "rough Sadie" from "rough Spence" she would feel motivated and take off. I can feel her stirring, looking forward, making plans. Getting a life.

I'm getting excited about the possibilities. She's not. Not yet. She's apprehensive. I don't blame her. But I think it's time she acted like a heroine. No more sitting on the sidelines. Spence is a force to be reckoned with -- and I think she's going to have to show him she is a bit of a force (or maybe more than a bit) herself.

On a completely different topic, Anne Frasier is taking a vote on whether to have a root canal or get a tooth extracted. If you have an opinion (this is dentistry by consensus apparently) drop over to her site and share it. I'm sure she'll be glad to add your vote to the tally. You may have to scroll down a bit as she's added a topic or two or three in the meantime, but I'm sure you can find it.

1 Comments:

Blogger anne frasier said...

as far as the root canal goes -- votes seem to be running 50/50. and people seem to feel pretty strongly about their personal choice. an editor once told me it does no good to ask people to vote for a favorite title, because there is never an overwhelming winner. maybe this is something like that.

06 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home