Thursday, May 11, 2006

Saint Ralph

I got my new lens today, which has made looking at everything a treat. Up close or far away, the world is in focus and amazingly beautiful. Even though it's raining like crazy right now -- and the wind is howling and my mother has rung to report (horror of horrors) S.N.O.W. in Madison, Wisconsin, which isn't where she lives so why it would be cause for horror is worthy of debate. But I am not bothered because I spent the evening watching a wonderful film.

Saint Ralph made me laugh, made me cry, made me hope. And in fact made me start it all over again as soon as it ended the first time. I've just sat through it a second time, this time with my husband who generally averts his eyes in movies because (I think) he's embarrassed for the actors to have to be in what he considers drivel. But he watched every bit of Saint Ralph. No drivel here.

Ralph, for those who haven't seen the film, is a 14 year old boy who needs a miracle and, taking 9th grade religion class pretty literally, he decides how he's going to go about achieving one. It's impossible, everyone tells him -- particularly the priest who is the headmaster of his school. It would be a miracle if he did it (not to mention blasphemy, according to the headmaster). But Ralph is not to be deterred. And anyone who thinks that miracles don't come with hard work attached has got another think coming.

Great film. I'm still smiling. I will be watching it again tomorrow, I guarantee you, and watching the director's commentary as well. If you haven't seen it, give it a try. And if you went to Catholic school, don't miss it.

Tomorrow, company for the weekend. And a few moments with Spence!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you have your new glasses and things are looking great!

and yes -- nasty weather!! ick!

13 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home