Monday, October 15, 2007

Hawaiian Help?


I need help. There is a back story in my current book that is set in Hawaii.

When I first wrote about the character of Peter Antonides in The Antonides Marriage Deal, he was -- in his brother Elias's view -- a beach bum. He'd gone to Hawaii when he'd graduated from high school, ostensibly to enroll in the university.

And, let's be honest, to surf.

Why Hawaii? It was as far as he could get away from his Long Island based parents and still be in the same country.

It sounded good at the time -- and at the time I had no intention of making Peter a hero.

Oops.

So, now Peter is my hero (Seb and Neely having been relegated to the back burner until I can get my head on straight about their story). And he needs to know something about Hawaii. Ergo, so do I.

So, the thing is, if you know lots about Hawaii, or even a little bit about Hawaii, drop me a comment or send me an email (contact on my website) so I can pick your brain.

Fast.

In the meantime, I'm doing the internet proud, digging up everything I can. I wonder if Jane Porter will lend me her surfer boyfriend for a conversation or two.

I could certainly use some local detail.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I only know about Eamon inhabited islands like Ireland and Skiathos. Just mention a few palm trees, big waves and you'll be grand. Watch 50 first dates, that's set in Hawaii...I think...
Helpful?!
x Abby

16 October, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Well, you will notice there is no other help here, Abby. So, yes, helpful. I will watch 50 first dates. Yikes -- FIFTY? And I'm pleased to note that you said "Eamon inhabited" rather than "Eamon infested." An improvement, yes?

Love to Eamon -- and you. Keep warm!
Anne

16 October, 2007  
Blogger Madeline said...

Hi Anne, I'm going to send you an email on this subject. I hope the information that I give you helps, at least a little. Way back in the 60's I was a very big surfing fan so, I know a bit about surfing and Hawaii. I even surfed a bit myself only I wasn't lucky enough to have surfed the big ones in Hawaii. I'll include all that I know about the Hawaiian surfing scene and all the surfing terms that I can remember. Yes, there are definitely surfing terms that the surfers use.

You might want to check out the movie called The Endless Summer. It is a documentary made by 2, 1960's surfers from California, who traveled the world, looking for the perfect wave. It's very informative and, shows all the best places in Hawaii to surf, as well as all the best places in the rest of the world.

Sorry this post is so long. I'll tell you more in my email.I hope I can help with whatever you need for background information.
All the best, Mads:)

16 October, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Many thanks, Mads.
I grew up on the beach at Manhattan Beach, CA, so I know my way around surfing as it was 'back then' -- but I would like to know more about things NOW or in the last ten years. The back story is from ten years ago. I was on the beach considerably before that.

All the detail you can recall will be most helpful. Thanks!

17 October, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home