Wednesday, October 17, 2007

You call that research?


I've spent a good part of the day getting the Hawaiian back story nailed down.

The story itself has existed in my brain for quite a long time. The actual tying it to specific places and getting the details is what I've been working on now.

It's so much easier to do with the internet.

Google Earth has given me bird's eye views of not only where PJ lives in New York City now, but is sharpening my Hawaiian geographical skills enormously.

Blogs have introduced me to people and places and details I would never have known of otherwise. And trawling through Amazon has netted me several films and books that will add to my knowledge.

Research is so much fun I wish I could just spend weeks on it. But time is of the essence here, so I'm trying to hold it to the bare minimum and not allow myself to get sucked into comparing every property on Oahu, trying to find the "perfect" studio apartment for Peter to have lived in as a surf bum/student.

I have enough details from my own university days. Surely I can create an apartment from my memories of that!

I'm planning on watching Blue Crush on Friday. I've got it on order. I've seen Endless Summer enough times that it has its own indelible spot in my brain. If anyone has any other good Hawaiian surf films to recommend, please do so.

Contribute your expertise to the cause. Every detail helps.

Very big thanks to Abby (and Eamon, I'm sure) and to Mads who have sent me details and suggestions. You guys are great.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Madeline said...

You are welcome Anne, and that picture on your last blog, is the most beautiful picture of the Pipeline that I've ever seen. I'm looking forward to reading this book.

Have a great weekend. Mads:)

18 October, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home