Thursday, April 24, 2008

Long Time Favorite


Back in the dark ages -- well, the 1980s -- when I was first getting started reading -- and writing -- romances, I found a few authors whose books were automatic reads.

One of the earliest among them was Candace Camp, who at the time was writing historicals as Lisa Gregory and contemporaries as Kristen James. It didn't matter what she wrote, I read it. And I loved them all.

To my way of thinking her Kristen James book, The Sapphire Sky, is one of the best contemporary single title romances of all time. I read it often, and it never loses its intensity or its charm. And Nick, ne'er-do-well that he is, is one of my favorite heroes.

And her Rainbow Season, written as Lisa Gregory, is probably in my top three all-time favorite historicals.

Dynamite books, emotional blockbusters, both of them. She's well worth watching out for. And she's now written fifty or so more terrific books.

One of them is Promise Me Tomorrow. Writing now under her own name, Candace Camp, she tells the story of beautiful thief, Marianne Cotterwood, and Justin, Lord Lambeth, the man who is trying to figure her out.
Promise Me Tomorrow is a delightful book of engaging characters and secrets galore.

Do you have favorites from years ago that you go back to? Which are they?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kammie said...

I have about 75 books in my "keeper" collection. Mostly Judith McNaught and Julie Garwood. I've never gone back to read them. Some day..lol

25 April, 2008  
Blogger Christa said...

I have one bookshelf(two shelves aren't filled but the books are two deep so I'm hoping I get another year out of it). I haven't re-read, but have them "just in case":-) But the one I'll always remember is Montana Wife by Jillian Hart. It was such a beautiful story.

25 April, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Kim and Christa, thanks for telling me your favorites. I have read a fair amount of Judith McNaught and some of Julie Garwood. I'll keep an eye out for them in the future, Kim. And I don't know Montana Wife, Christa, but I will definitely have to look for it.

25 April, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home