Tuesday, April 15, 2008

In Limbo . . . or chaos reigns


If you were here a couple of weeks ago or more, you may remember the "dusting" and the "home improvement" blogs. Well, since then we have been living in increasing chaos.

First the mattresses left, then the new ones arrived. But they couldn't come upstairs because we had to strip wallpaper and then paint and then carpet and THEN the beds could come up.

So for the last three weeks, they've been in the living room. Having three big dogs is enough of a movable suite of furniture. Add to them the mattresses and box springs and frames, plus the furniture that actually belongs there, and you've got a mess.

So . . . we got rid of the wallpaper and George the painter did come and paint. He actually painted three times before we got the right shade of blue. It's not that I'm picky (well, not very). It's that little strips of blue never look the same when you get them on the wall when they look BLUE!!!!!

From now on, when I paint, remind me that I want to buy a gallon of white and then a quart of whatever color we think we want the walls. And then we're going to very carefully and sparingly add the tiniest bit of color to the white. Because if we don't, yikes, it's like living in an Easter basket. Which is why George had to paint it three times.

And now the carpet is arriving. So tonight we moved the last of the furniture out. So my office is full of furniture and the hall is full of furniture, and there is just barely room enough to turn around everywhere upstairs, EXCEPT in the bedroom, which actually echoes.

Tomorrow the carpet is being laid. Then we can start moving stuff back in. And throwing other stuff out. LOTS of stuff is going to get thrown out. Or maybe I'll give it away on my blog -- though other than the books, I don't think you would want any of it.

Sadly, the bag of books from which I am picking give-aways is on the far side of all the furniture and I can't climb over it to get to the books. So I will be adding two books on Wednesday to make up for today's missing book.

In the meantime, it's National Library Week, so go to the library and check out books while you're waiting for me to come up with more give-aways. I love libraries. All the books I'm not giving you guys I'm going to give the library.

Does anyone want books about writing? If so, say so. I've got some of them, too, that are looking for a good home.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

you mean we could own a little bit of something of Anne McAllister's besides books :-)

15 April, 2008  
Blogger Bunny B said...

Yay to National Lib Week! I love libraries!!

15 April, 2008  
Blogger priley65 said...

Anne I hear ya...I'm remodeling my laundry room, which I think I mentioned before and finishing some other projects. I hate the in between but you'll love the finished project.

15 April, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Christa, if you want something besides books, just speak up!!!!

Bunny, aren't libraries wonderful? I just made an inter-library loan request today. The ILL lady is such a great help!

Patricia, I'm starting to put the furniture back in - and it's very depressing because it pretty much has to go back in the same place, and other than the walls and the rug, it looks so much THE SAME! Argh. But maybe it will be okay when we finally get the bed in and the pictures up.

15 April, 2008  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

I do not even want to think about such things...
I am getting a fireplace put in my study soonish and I do not even want to begin to consider the mess...
I am glad you are nearly done.

16 April, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Michelle, I could tolerate a lot of mess if it would end in a fireplace. That's brilliant. Lucky you. And I'm sure you'll think it's worth it when you finally see the result.

My biggest problem now the room is done, is how to put everything away where there is no room to put it -- so there will be lots of weeding out!

16 April, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home