Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Miranda's Big Mistake

Here's another book I wouldn't be parting with if I didn't have another one on my shelves.

A friend visiting London brought it back to me, without realizing I'd already ordered my own from an online bookseller the instant it came out.

Miranda's Big Mistake by the wonderful witty Jill Mansell is a BIG book. 506 pages of delight in which to wallow as you watch kind-hearted, mistake-prone hairdresser Miranda make a mess of her life.

There are, as there always is in every Jill Mansell book -- great characters, joy, humor, pain, wisdom and, of course, a satisfying ending when Miranda, bless her heart, finally gets it right.

When I was writing The Great Montana Cowboy Auction, I read a lot of Jill's books because they're fun and humorous and because she handles legions of characters and more plot twists than I could write in 50 books with great aplomb.

I did my best to figure out how she did it.

I don't do it nearly as well, but I learned a lot. But even if I weren't reading it to learn, I'd read any Jill Mansell book that came my way.

In fact, I have them all on standing order so that I get them almost before they even hit the shelves.

Leave a comment if you haven't already and you could be the one who gets Miranda as well as Carla Kelly's book, Liz Fielding's book and Tempting by Susan Mallery.

Gunnar says that he is susceptible to bribes, too, but I probably shouldn't be telling you that!

As for me, I wish Jill would write a book about an architect with a leaky houseboat. Seb and I could use some advice.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Bunny B said...

This Miranda book does sound like a lot of fun!

My best friend once gave me a book on my birthday, not before telling me how hard it was to find this book as the store only had a couple left (and it was a hardcover), and only to find out that I already had bought this book on my own months ago! Since her copy was a present, I kept it, and gifted my copy to her :)

09 April, 2008  
Blogger CrystalGB said...

I have never read any of Jill Mansell's books. Sounds interesting.

09 April, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Bunny, you're a great friend. And it sounds like your friend is a pretty fine friend, too. I hope you both enjoyed the books!

Crystalgb, Jill's books are best sellers in UK but most have not come out in the US. I don't know where you are, but if you're on my side of the pond, that may be why you haven't read any. If you're in England, you have no excuse!!!! (grin). She always has fun plots with a serious edge to them as well, and lots and lots of people. I really enjoy them!

09 April, 2008  
Blogger EllenToo said...

I guess since I live in the US that's the reason I haven't heard of Jill Mansell.

09 April, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

I think only a couple of her books have come out over here, Ellen. I found them by chance when I was in England -- and got hooked. I don't know that all the rather local references 'translate' but the stories of people are universal, and I love her use of coincidence and just the charm of her characters.

09 April, 2008  
Blogger acdaisy95 said...

I have not read any of Carla Kelly, Liz Fielding, Jill Mansell, and Susan Mallery. I have heard of Liz and Susan, but Carla and Jill are both new to me. I will have to go and check it out.

10 April, 2008  
Blogger rellu said...

I have read Susan Mallery, Natalie Anderson, Jennifer Lewis, Nora Roberts etc. All these romance books are good. I'm already looking forward to read new books. Anne Mcallisters new book ''One-Night Mistress...Convenient Wife '' is very good book I loved the introduction.

03 April, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home