Friday, June 26, 2009

Charley's Postcard



Charley the studly laptop has been recovering from his exertions getting Demetios and Anny finished and sent off to Richmond.

He was heartened in his efforts by the arrival of a postcard from one of his admirers, Scarlet S O'Dell (a very classy red English lass) who was holidaying in Lindos with her family.

Hearing from Scarlet (and heaven only knows what The Powers That Be at Mills & Boon thought of the postcard when it arrived) made Charley's -- and my -- day!

We send thanks to Scarlet (and Rach who had to write it for her because Scarlet couldn't get any connectivity out in the Grecian boondocks apparently) and are very happy to have it. It has pride of place on the bookshelf now. Charley is lobbying for a trophy case in which to put it. This is sort of like a notch on the computer bedpost, I guess.

Next thing you know he'll be getting postcards from lovely lissome lady laptops all over the world. There will be no end to his preening then.

I am in the process of cleaning my office (a long process) and watching physics lectures by Richard Wolfson (sort of physics for non-believers, er, scientists) which I'm thoroughly enjoying. This is in preparation for George's book. Fascinating stuff.

The Prof keeps looking at me strangely when I say that. I think he expected me to be bored out of my mind. Not at all. It all makes perfect sense and as long as I filter it through George's brain -- and his relationship with Sophy (whom you will meet in Christo's book) -- has a great deal of relevance to my life.

Well, I suppose the laws of physics have a great deal to do with everyone's life (gravity among other things), but I just don't spend a lot of time thinking about it specifically. Nice that George does, though.

Scarlet -- and Rach -- thank you for making Charley such a happy guy! Hope you had a good time on Lindos!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachael Johns said...

OOh what a gorgeous postcard! My pink Dell Bella is severely disappointed that someone has WOWED Charley more than she has!!!

26 June, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Scarlet's post card was a treat. But I'm sure that Charley isn't a one-computer guy at the moment. He's playing the field, I think!

Thanks for your kind words about Hugh's story on your blog!

26 June, 2009  
Anonymous Rachel said...

Dear Anne and Charley,

so glad the card made it!

Scarlet is feeling much better now she can sneak off and play in cyberspace and is obviously feeling utterly smug that she is 'Notch 1'!

Lots of love,
Rach.
XXX

27 June, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Rach,

As you can tell, Charley (and I) love Scarlet's card! I laugh when I imagine what the folks at HM&B thought when they saw it! WHO'S CHARLEY??????

I suspect that Charley is merely a notch on Scarlet's post, too. She sounds like quite a girl! It was kind of her to think of him while on holiday.

We watched Mamma Mia last night and he kept saying, "Is that where Scarlet was?" and "Why don't we get to go neat places like that?"

Somehow he thinks North Dakota will not be as exciting. What does he know?

27 June, 2009  
Blogger Lacey Devlin said...

Charley will end up with a book of his own if he's not careful! Playing the field indeed! The rake! ;)

28 June, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Ah well, Lacey, what can you do with him after he's seen Lindos -- even on a postcard. And he had to be the conduit of Demetrios & Anny's book which took place in Cannes and along the coast of Italy and in Greece. No keeping him down on the farm, I fear. He's a high flyer, our Charley!

28 June, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home