Friday, March 17, 2006

Extreme Makeover

I have never actually watched an episode of Extreme Makeover where some guy and his crew go into a house and completely restore it, or knock it down and rebuilt it or ... or ...or ... but I feel as if I've got my own personal one going on at the moment -- not with my house, with my body!

First there was the cataract surgery which, by the way, is the greatest gift I've ever had in my life. I cannot begin to tell you how much more colorful the world is than the world I'd been living in for, lo, these many years.

And yesterday there was The Wisdom Teeth Extraction.

Not all of them, thank God. Just two. But two was enough. The other two left about 20 years or more ago. These faithfully hung on. They were doing their job, they didn't need to be sent off wherever the tooth fairy takes extraneous (is that the word I want? Not sure. Not sure of much. Painkillers are a distinct vocabulary suppresant) teeth. Anyway, the dentist thought (has been thinking for a good dozen years or so) that these ought to go that way, too. Finally, I decided to agree.

So I called. Wednesday. The day before yesterday.

If you recall "now" to an eye doctor means two months from now. "Now" to a dentist obviously means something entirely different. "Come in for an x-ray," they said. So I went. I got the xray. With their next breath they said they'd set up an appointmet for me with the oral surgeon. With the breath after that they told me he just happened to have an opening-- the next day. Yesterday. Late afternoon. Did I want it?

Oh, hell, why not? Why stop and think about it for two months?

Yesterday it sleeted. It rained. It snowed. Sometimes it did all of the above at once. Imagine my surprise (not) when the oral surgeon's office called in the morning and said they'd had a cancellation and could I be there in 45 minutes?

Did I mention I can walk to the oral surgeon's office from where I live? So I went.

An hour later I had two less teeth, five less roots ("Did you know you had three roots on that tooth?" the oral surgeon asked with the enthusiasm that only oral surgeons can muster for such items of discussion. Answer: no) and a prescription for painkillers and antibiotics.

Now, a day later, I can tell you they work. The painkillers worked so well I slept sixteen hours. I don't think I sleep sixteen hours some entire weeks! But I did last night and this morning and into this afternoon. And now that my eyes are uncrossed and I've stopped drooling, I am trying to do revisions on Theo again. Through painkillers. Probably not the best idea I've had this week (that would be having the wisdom teeth out).

Next week I get to see the eye doc again so he can tell me the cataract surgery was a great success (which I already know and am capable of getting VERY enthusiastic about). I wonder if he'll want to do the other eye.

I'm living in hope.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

So thats where you were yesterday! I hope the tooth extraction is less painful today - and thatthe revisions progress wonderfully. Having lived with Theo and his procrastinations for quite a while - I want to see him in print!

But I'll settle for Elias first - I seee that The Antonides Marriage Deal is out here in Uk and in America in Presents next month - can't wait!

Kate

18 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home