Friday, May 26, 2006

The Map Cabinet Takes Over

Well.

This might be too much of a good thing.

The map cabinet has arrived and, as I said to Kate Hardy in one of my comments on yesterday's post, we might have to build it a room of its own. My lord, that thing is HUGE. If it stays in the living room, where it is now, it will be the conversation piece for years to come. And somehow I don't think I want it being the never-ending focus of our lives. So on the weekend it's moving to the dining room where it can hang out in the corner and work at being inconspicuous (not). At least it can try to blend in.

I do like it though. So does The Prof. Of course he sees it as "no longer paying rent on the locker" and therefore he doesn't care if it sits in the middle of the blinkin' kitchen and has to be skirted every time we go near the sink or stove. I think he pats its handsome oaken head every time he walks past.

At least nothing will be falling out of it and bopping him on the head now. When we get it situated, I'll dare to take its photo and stick it up here (probably before we put the tv on top of it and thereby ruin its feng shui or whatever it is that makes it -- or us -- feel at home.

Can't worry about it today. I'm taking my mother to visit her 98 year old cousin who lives about 100 miles from here. We're going out to lunch for cousin's birthday. It's always such a treat to visit with her. If I get to be 98, I want to have the same enthusiastic outlook on life. She still drives and still shovels snow in the winter and will doubtless haul us all over the county telling us the history of everyone who has lived there since her grandparents settled there in 1855. I love that sort of thing. Except I keep thinking I'm not doing a good enough job of recording what she knows. The county is going to lose an incredible font of information when she goes. Thank God I don't think she's going anytime soon!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

Happy Happy Birthday to your Mum's coousin and many many more of them. She sounds a wonderful character - do keep getting her stories

Looking forward to seeing a photo of The Cabinet in situ - perhaps with a dog or two neabry (or on top?) for perspective

Have a great day

Kate

26 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home