Sunday, June 04, 2006

Guilt . . . and other pleasures

On her blog today, Kate Walker said lots of very nice things about me and about my books and, incidentally, about her cat, Sid. No surprise about Sid. He gets in lots of blogs. It's a talent of his.

One of the great things about writing, as Kate pointed out, is that you get to meet such interesting cats . . .er, people. And you get to go visit them and drag them around the countryside looking for dead relatives or live cowboys or whatever turns you on. You even get to meet up with them on the far side of the earth and share moments with Hugh-in-the-towel (sadly a two-dimensional Hugh-in-the-towel) and reminisce about Robert Fuller (and tax deduct it).

But in order to get to do those great things, you have to write books. Well, I suppose Kate would still let me come visit her if I stopped now. But who knows who else I might meet if I keep writing (Hugh-in-the-towel might turn up. You never know.)?

So, I have to keep writing. For that and because I have stories to tell. Even this story about Spence, who should be feeling guilty that he has kept me waiting so long. As I will feel guilty if I keep my editor waiting. And I do not like feeling guilty. I do not like being late with books. But I like writing them (sometimes). And I like the people I meet doing it. And I've told Spence we need to get busy.

Tomorrow morning Spence is showing up for work. He told me so. He was even here a while today. It was very nice seeing him again. He's a little upset. His world -- as he knows it -- has shifted considerably in the last few days. He is having to come to terms with things he had never expected to. I don't like being the one to tell him that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

So tomorrow I'm going to let Sadie do it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

You could come and visit me anytime - even if you never wrote another single word. (Except perhaps - 'Arriving to visit on . . .) And Sid, as you know doesn;t give a damn about books, except for sleeping on.

But I would be very sad if there was never another Anne McAllister book for me to read - and seeing as Spence has been teasing me - and everyone else who reads this blog with the fact that he's found out something that he didn't know before and now must act on it (Did you hear that Spence - 'must act on it') I would like to think that he (and Sadie) will both not just show up for work - but actually do some. I have the same problem with Vito - in spite of the fact that he's gooing to get what he wants - in one way at least. SO here's to a productive week for both of us and more new heroes to read about

Go Sadie!

04 June, 2006  
Blogger anne frasier said...

if you told sid that thing he's on isn't a throne, i don't think he'd believe you.

05 June, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Anne, you're absolutely right. He is a very regal cat, especially for one who just turned up one evening acting as if he owned the place. I guess it's that royal blood. Or bearing. Or arrogance. But I must admit, he's a charming fellow.

05 June, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lady Across the Pond

'Acting' as 'if' I owned the place? Acting! If! Now really, dear Madam, you should know better. There may be those ignorant humans who claim that I am 'owned' by Kate Walker but as I know - and you know - it is quite the other way around. She is owned by me - and she is quite happy to serve in that capacity. It was what she was born to, after all. She was just waiting for A Cat of Superior Breeding like me to come along.

To the other Anne across the Pond - greetings. 'That thng' is -was (for I have now discarded it) a temporary throne. As TLATP will tell you, I do have my own throne, in the Throne Room - I believe you humans call it a bed. Sometimes I condescend to share it with TLATP, which, as I am sure you will admit, is very gracious of me.

With best purrs
Sidney ACOSB

05 June, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Sidney,
My apologies. Of course you 'own' the place -- and everyone in it. But at the time you arrived no one knew that. (They just didn't understand instantly how compelling you are. It took maybe five seconds.)

I do have a picture of you on your new throne, but I felt there was too much bed in the photo and not enough YOU, so I chose this one instead.

06 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home