Monday, June 05, 2006

Irresponsible Authors

She left!

I don't believe it. She natters on for weeks about how she needs me to get my act together and show up for work. And I do. I cooperate all day long. I bide my time in New York City, cool my heels, wait for my cue, and I make my phone call right when she needs me to. And what does she do?

She lets Sadie drop her bomb -- and then she leaves!

McAllister. Not Sadie. Sadie's still here looking nervous -- which is pretty smart.

But McAllister has just waltzed out of the room without so much as a by-your-leave (whatever that means). She waggled her fingers and went out out to feed her husband, walk her dogs and then, she informed me, she was going to watch part of a DVD!

How responsible is that? How helpful? How adult?

What's her editor going to say, I'd like to know. If she worked for me she wouldn't get away with this. I expect my employees to be there whenever I need them. Of course I only have one employee -- Sadie Morrissey.

But Sadie is there. Always. Even today when I thought she wasn't going to show up (and now think life would be a whole hell of a lot simpler if she hadn't), she showed.

But McAllister? Nope. She took off. Went out to have fun. Left me here with a scene half written, cooling my heels. Foaming at the mouth, more like! I have a truckful of things to say to Sadie Morrissey as soon as McAllister gets back here to write them down!

But is she coming back? Like hell! It's after midnight. Next thing you know she'll turn up and tell me it's too late tonight. So sorry, Spence but she needs her beauty rest.

Bull.

You can't get reliable authors these days. They think they have their own lives. They think they don't need us. They're wrong.

And I'm going to tell her so next time I see her.

Wait. Is that her? I hear footsteps on the stairs now. Right, well, she needn't think she can just turn up and expect me to start spouting off now so she can write it down.

Not on your life. I'm going to make her suffer a bit first. Show her who's boss.

Hey! Where'd she go?

McAllister???!!!!

Good grief. She shut me in the office and went off to brush her teeth.

Just wait until morning, McAllister. Just wait.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't get reliable authors these days . . .

Oh yes, my friend Spence - I agree, How I agree! I have the same trouble with my own author here - this Kate Walker. You should see the way she left me last night.

Soaking wet! Dripping. Right here on my own hall carpet! First I have to rush into the sea to rescue this Emily - and then - then! she lets the heavens open and the rain pour down and I am drenched all over again.
Madre de Dio - and then she leaves me all night. With this woman - this Emily - in my arms . .

Ah, but - but - I hear footsteps. . . the computer is being switched on . . .

Ciao, mi amico

Vito

06 June, 2006  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

I am so looking forward to this book and seeing Spence get his come uppance.

Have you ever noticed what a needy person he is?Totally dependant on Sadie.
Tsk, tsk, tsk

06 June, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

I completely agree, Michelle. He snarled at me this morning when I opened the office door. I am wondering if I need my whip and chair. And in the back of my mind I keep hearing Kate saying, "Anne says she doesn't write angry heroes."

Apparently Spence is the exception that proves the rule.

06 June, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Vito,

I'm sorry you spent the night soaking wet, but I really think it's partly your fault. I hope you have a better day today.

06 June, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah..I know how poor spence feels.

My own author, Dominic Gagliardi, he tells me has the perfect female for me--a loup-garou (werewolf for those that dont speak french) She's a lawyer! An innocent in this battle of good vs evi..well ok, so she's not so innocent. Apparently, she has a deep little secret that involves my kind. *shrugs* or so he says.

Anyways, first he sets me up with a lawyer. Then he gives a Spanish man a name that sounds French. What's up with that? Then! Then he sets me to shot with a silver bullet, and leaves me there to die...or does he, I guess you'll have to read mine and Stephanie s tail..er I mean tale. LOL.

Ok..so Dom isn't so bad. Spence, Vito. Mi amigos, quit complaining. You can't get reliable authors these days . . .indeed. These authors work their tails off to get your stories out there for the masses to read, you should consider yourself lucky. It could be Fred and Wilma Flinstone's story that's being told.

06 June, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky? She's dithered around all day. Said the thunderstorms that kept rolling through meant she had to shut of the computer. Hasn't she ever heard of pencils?

But maybe you're right, Rafael. Maybe she's better than nothing. Ouch. Damn it, Sadie. Quit kicking my ankle. All right, all right. McAllister's not bad. OUCH! Okay, she's actually pretty good. I was talking to Elias the other day and he said she did all right by him. I guess it's when we're in the midst of things that she gets a little grouchy. Ouch!

No thunderstorms now. Maybe we can work a little more tonight. I need to get my life sorted out. And I can't do it if she keeps wandering out of the room!

Good luck with your authors, Vito and Rafael. I'm going to need all the luck I can get with this one.

Ouch, damn it! Kick me again, Sadie, and I swear I'll . . .

06 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home