Sunday, August 06, 2006

Something to look forward to . . .

Spence and Sadie have been loitering around the South Pacific, specifically Fiji, for a couple of weeks now. And so I've done a lot of Fiji research, which included going back over the material my stepdad brought back from the islands 35 years ago. He had first been there in WWII and if anyone can be said to have 'enjoyed' his experience in the war, at least the part when he was in Fiji not getting shot at was enjoyable. He'd loved it there and had always wanted to go back. So when he retired, he did.

He came back with lots of stories to tell and I, of course, only half listened because I was dealing with a new baby and a lot of my own reality at the time. I should have paid more attention to his. I could have learned stuff that would have helped me -- and Spence and Sadie -- get through this book.

But at least now I have the internet. And I have had a wonderful time taking virtual visits to Fiji on the internet. I think my favorite island so far is Taveuni. It's called "the garden island" and the pictures I've found amply demonstate why. But it isn't the garden aspect that appeals to me so much as the laid-back easy-going atmosphere that everyone talks about. It sounds like a great place to get away from high-powered stress and get in touch with what really matters -- and have a good time as well. Of course I haven't been there, so I might be wrong.

Anyone reading this been there? Anyone reading this been to Fiji? If so, please leave a comment. Let me know your impressions, your likes and dislikes, your recommendations of places to go and things to see and do.

Because . . . and this is what I mean when I said "something to look forward to" -- we might actually do it!

Last week I said to my New Zealand writer friend, Robyn Donald, that I would like to go to Fiji. Robyn writes heavenly books about the South Pacific, so I have been picking her brain regularly. And I said, "If we ever get there, will you guys come, too?" And she wrote back at once and said, "If you come, we will be waiting at the airport to meet you."

Well, now . . . I can hardly ignore an offer like that. We had so much fun with Robyn and her husband in New Zealand two years ago, that we would adore meeting them in Fiji. And we have a milestone anniversary coming up next year (the big 4.0.). So The Prof suggested that we might celebrate by meeting Robyn and her husband in Fiji. Sounds like a deal to me! I think I might even be able to get another book -- or two -- out of it.

We'll see. Anyway, we're open to other suggestions as well. I don't think we have ever gone anywhere to celebrate anything, so maybe it's time we did. Feel free to point us in whatever direction you think we should take. We'd love to learn about other wonderful spots in the world.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Rix said...

Woohoo Anne!! (For your up and coming milestone anniversary and the opportunity to visit Fiji).

I've never been to Fiji so I can't offer any info, but I can offer my thanks.

Thanks for the great advice you recently gave me - I don't want to speak too soon (sshh...) but I think it's working! (Especially the bit about sneaking up on the manuscript). I've not officially added to my word count yet but I've now come up with enough material to hopefully take me forwards for another few chapters!

After being 'stuck' on Chapter 4 for so long, I am thrilled, so once again THANK YOU!

Sue :-)

07 August, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Yea, Sue! Good for you! It sounds as if you've done something right. Hope it continues for you and your ms grows by leaps and bounds. Keep me posted.

Anne

07 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home