Friday, September 15, 2006

England, Here I Come!

I'm about to follow Spence and Sadie across the pond.

But I'm trying to clean my office first. It would be easier if there were places on the bookshelves to put the new books (why are there always new books? why is it so hard to part with the old ones?). But at least I have found the floor again. It is covered with dog hair, which I have spent the better part of the past hour cleaning up. It seems to simply embed itself in wall-t0-wall carpet. All I can say is 'God bless Mr Dyson and his wonderful vacuum.' I never could get it out without that.

Now that the rug is clean and the books are, well, sort of put away, I am making copies of everything I think I will need on the trip in the way of family history research. That means printing out family group sheets and genealogical reports on the various families I'm hoping to work on.

It also means going over my "annotated census" of a couple of Crowan parish enumeration districts, where I have used the IGI and parish records to fill in who married whom and any other relationships that seem pertinent. I really wish there was some kind of software that would let me lay out these relationships geographically. I'm printing a bunch of maps to take with me as well, so I can at least plot them out as I discover where these people all lived.

I feel like I'm going to forget something vitally important. But I don't want to take my laptop and fight it the whole way. So I'm taking what I need on a flash drive and hoping that that's enough.

Besides doing the family history, I'm looking forward to a dinner with a bunch of Presents authors one night, a lunch with all sorts of Harlequin Mills & Boon authors another day, "drinks" with the editorial staff at HM&B, and "tea" at Fortnum & Mason's.

I'm also going to be visiting Sid, Kate Walker's cat. He's sitting on my bed waiting for me to come visit, Kate says. I'll miss the dogs, but I know Sid will show me a good time. He's even promised to try to lay on a performance by the local hedgehogs.

I'll try to check in with the blog and tell you what's going on. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there -- and saying hi to Spence and Sadie, who will be enjoying Fiji while I'm there, and gearing up to revise themselves when I get back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

Yes, that's right - you're going to be visiting Sid - not me - or the BM - SID!

Sid knows that too and has become even more pompous as a result. He says he may share the bed with you if your are good and kind - and provide a little smackeral of something at Teatime. Salmon will do.

He has been training up the hedgehogs and they now come regularly to get a little smackeral of something too - not salmon - Sid doesn't waste salmon and hogs. But they do enjoy crunchies and have been told they will not get crunchies unless they turn up for you.

Can't wait to see you even though you are really only coming to see Sid. Hope you have a safe and comfortable trip

Kate

16 September, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Well, we'll let him THINK I'm only coming to see him, but I'm really looking forward to seeing you and the Babe Magnet, too. (Don't tell Sid).

Not long now. I leave in 3 hours!

16 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home