Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Ducks in a row

Three of Spence and Sadie's ducks are in a row. Five more of them are weaving a bit drunkenly around behind the first three, alternately clamoring for their turn to be lined up and then saying they'd rather wait.

Can't wait. Gotta get in line. It's that time of the book. Once the first scene -- which has conservatively taken more time to write than the all the rest of the book put together -- worked, I had a much better handle on how to make sure everything else was working too. One thing, circularly, leads to another.

I was going to say it's like the chicken and the egg, but I think we're relying a bit too much on poultry here. So, it's like the duck and the egg. Okay. And now that the chapter one duck is in full feather, the rest of them are looking better too. I figure with about 5 more 10 hour days I should have them all lined up and marching toward Richmond. Or winging cyber-spatially toward Richmond. I can hardly wait.

I want to have a life again. I want to walk my dogs further than three quarters of a mile. I want to watch movies and read books and go to the aquarium. I know I just got back from a week of "life" in Montana. I know I saw a son get married. I know I spent 10 hours in the Denver airport (which, by the way, seems a lot longer than ten hours at the computer working). But I want more of it.

I want to do genealogy again. I want to find clues to the family of mysterious gggg-grandfather, Thomas Hocking of Crowan, Cornwall. Was he hatched? (More poultry. We have a theme!) Did he drop from outer space? Did someone find him under a rock. Inquiring minds are going to be trying to find that out in Cornwall. And mine wants to do some work before I leave.

So . . . back to the ducks.

Just two and a half more days until the Wedding Bells II contest ends. Sign up now on my website if you haven't already.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catching up - happy anniversary and I'm so glad your son and daughter-in-law had such a great wedding.

Get those ducks in a row, because then you're coming over here...

Genealogy sounds fascinating. I've been delving into a family tree that's not my own (tracing the former occupants of my dad's cottage) and I've recently discovered the joys of manorial records... and deciphering Stuart handwriting, along with its abbreviations. (Kids are back at school next week, so I'm off to the record office.) But I'd bet that discovering your own family is even more interesting.

30 August, 2006  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Hooray that your duck are lining up -- drunkenly or not.

Ducks can sometimes be difficult. But they are more cooperative than hens and once they go in a line, they can really move.

30 August, 2006  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

Let's just hope that S&S don't chicken out now and duck away from the way you think the book is going so that it turns out to be a real turkey.

Perhaps if Sadie decided to goose Spence - or he tried to take a gander at her when he didn't want her to - so making the plot all cocked up.

Enough with the poultry gags! I really shouldn't egg you on in this way. But I'm glad to know that S&S are not totally hardboiled - it's really no yolk


Okay, I'm sorry - I'll stop now, hen . . . .

30 August, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Kate H., I think "house history" can be just as fascinating as genealogy. I've done some on our house, which only goes back to 1916, but still was a treat to research. Have fun at the record office. I'm envying you!

30 August, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Michelle, I hope you're right. Presently there is a bit of drunken weaving going on at the end of ch 4.

And Kate W, I strongly suspect it's all your fault with those AWFUL poultry jokes. Enough to put ducks right off their feed and send them running for the hills. And now I'll have to go back and round them up again.

30 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home