Monday, August 28, 2006

Less Is More

See, I told you I wouldn't get to "Go" any time soon.

The problem is cutting things down, streamlining them, making sure everything that is needed is in the first chapter -- and nothing else. I have to give the reader just enough to understand and empathize with Sadie, without giving her too much background to slow the story down. And it's work.

It's more work cutting than it is writing in the first place. Because economy is all. Being spare and quick is what it's all about. Otherwise the reader gets bored. They want to cut to the chase, and if I don't do that, they won't read.

So, I've been reworking the first 10 pages over and over and over. I've probably written 15,000 words to get 4500 words eventually. I hope. I'm not there yet. The rest of it flows reasonably well. And the first chapter will eventually. I won't let it out of the house until it does. And once it does, the last part of the book should come up much better too.

Less isn't only more, it's harder.

Are we having fun yet?

Wedding Bells II contest closes Sept 1. Enter now on my website for a box of "wedding-related" books and other goodies.

I'm trying to think of things for the scavenger hunt. Hmmmmm.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thanks, Kathleen. It's getting closer to ready to go. Bit by bit.

28 August, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Anne. Let's try this again. For some reason my last message disappeared from the screen and I have no idea where it went. I did mention that I never read romance until I found your Code of the West and I'm hoping you will definitely continue writing them even if it's been four years since you've written about cowboys. I used to write when God was a child. Took it up again about six or seven years ago and you're the reason. I have finaled in several contests with an ms called Emmy and the Cowboy. You have given me a lot enjoyment with your wonderful stories. Thank you.

Ginny

12 September, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Ginny,
Thank YOU for your very kind words. I'm thrilled you've enjoyed the Code of the West books and so glad you've begun writing again yourself. Go for it. Hope I get to read Emmy and the Cowboy someday!

I hope to write more Code of the West books. Calling my editor at Silhouette and talking about just that is on my agenda when I get back from England. So we shall see! Thanks for the encouragement to do so.

Anne

12 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home