Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Saga of Sid . . . a cat of substance

Many of you who read this blog know my good friend Kate Walker as well. You also, if you know Kate, have met Sidney.

Sidney aka Sir Sidney St John Willoughby Portly-Lummox, ACOSB, Bart. is Kate's cat. Or Kate is Sid's human, which seems more likely.

Sid is, to put it bluntly, a cat of substance. And Opinions (with a capital O). He and I have been corresponding for several years as he is a cat with literary pretensions and broad interests.

Back in 2001 when I was at the editorial office in London, my editor asked what I was going to do for the rest of my vacation, and I said, "I'm going to visit Kate Walker's cat." She was, as the Brits say, gobsmacked.

But it was true.

Sid had invited me. He'd even prepared a room for me. The Throne Room, he called it. And he made sure Kate did it up in regal purple. It was elegant, as you might imagine it would be. Sid approved. And then he tested the bed daily to be sure it was ready for me and for The Prof.

Sid knows how to look after his own -- and his guests.

We had a lovely time visiting Sid and his humans. And I have invited him back to ours, but he has yet to come. He does not seem to think flying across the pond is a good idea. As a cat who had Adventures in his life before he came to Kate's and took over, Sid is leery of leaving his Lincolnshire palace. He knows he never had it so good, and he has no intention of having his position usurped.

There is not much danger of that, except for the fly in the ointment -- The Phraud.

The Phraud is Sid's alter ego, the c.a.t. who sneaks in and pretends to be Sid while posing in the most unflattering ways.

Just last week for my birthday, Kate sent me a photo (see photo immediately above) that purported to be Sid. But I could tell instantly that The Phraud had substituted one of himself because Sid would NEVER be quite so undignified. I do admit however that the resemblance is uncanny.

Still, Sid assures me he has booted The Phraud out. And he just sent a picture of himself (see top photo), awakening from a nap to prove that he is indeed in possession of the cat bed -- even though it is really Dyl the Vil's cat bed (Dyl being a much smaller cat and not regal in the least).

I get to visit Sid next month. I can hardly wait. But in the meantime, I have to get S&S out of here. I wrote a review last night -- until 3 a.m. actually -- for the National Genealogical Society's NewsMagazine. So that's one task finished. So's the laundry I've been doing all morning.

Okay, playtime over. Now back to Spence and Sadie.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To The Lady Across the Pond

Dear Madam

I was delighted to find, when I acquired control of the keyboard this morning, that you had posted an Account of myself and my noble bearing and talents. I have enjoyed reading your tale of how you came to meet me and how much you enjoy your visits to me. As is only right and proper of course.

May I venture two small points that spoiled your Essay upon the Delights of Sid? I do not wish to complain dear lady - but strictly in the need for accuracy and enlightenment to those not blessed, as you are, with a hands on, as I believe the saying is, with my illustrious self.

One - perhpas it might be best for those not in the know, to explain the initials ACOSB - which, as you and I and indeed my dear Kate know, mean A Cat of Superior Breeding. It concerns me that others may try to substitute other explanations for this abbreviation, not out of spite but purely out of lack of knowledge.

Secondly - I was pained to see that the Phraud has usurped my place in your posting. I say usurped because I know that you have in your possession a large number of pawtraits of myself that you could have used instead of this - this Phraudulent one!

But that small matter apart, dear Madam, I am delighted with your posting about the honour (please note that important U - as the word is correctly spelled this side of the Pond) - the honour of knowing me.

I wish you a safe trip and a pleasant time at The Wedding. I send you many Happy Anniversary thoughts and purrs for your own special day tomorrow. And I look forward to welcoming you back to Lincolnshire ere long.

With affectionate head butts

Your Feline Friend

Sir Sidney St John Willoughby Portly Lummox

17 August, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

My dear Sid,

I am sorry to have offended you by posting a photo of The Phraud on my blog. I simply wanted everyone to know that he is NOT YOU -- but that the resemblance is uncanny, so one can see how he gets by with impersonating, er, imcatating you.

And I regret not having spelled out the meaning of ACOSB. I thought it was Understood. But perhaps not by some. Those who know British bestowed titles, however, should be able to work it out.

I will endeavor to post a more elegant or at least a more pleasing pawtrait of you today. I'm leaving for the wedding shortly and need to get busy packing.

With ear and chin scratches and a smackeral of salmon,

I remain, your dear Lady Across The Pond,
Anne

17 August, 2006  
Blogger Susan Rix said...

ROFL - don't you just love a cat that can spell!
Sue :-)

17 August, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Sue,
I love THIS cat who can spell. I am reserving judgement on the others until I meet them!

17 August, 2006  
Blogger anne frasier said...

cute and hilarious! thanks, anne!

17 August, 2006  
Blogger Anne Crawford-Clarke said...

LOL. As the person to five cats, I can relate. Most entertaining. One would never openly refer to Sir Sid as being 'amusing', would one? Purr-haps a-mousing? Sorry, tired Canadian humour here. (Please, Note the U-Sir Sid)

23 August, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Sid is most impressed with the "u", Jordanne! He is not a-moused when he has to put up with American spelling.

23 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home