Sunday, August 27, 2006

Get Set . . .

This is the part that takes the longest -- getting everything set. We might be here a few more days before we get to "go."

Right now I am back threading through the subplot stuff that I didn't know enough about when I first wrote the book to be able to include it then. But now I do, and ideally it should just fit right in without me having to strangle characters to get them to accept new words. Hahahaha.

So I'm currently messing in chapter one, trying to help Sadie sort out all the stuff and put it in the right order so when it all comes to pass in chapter six (and later) there won't be any surprises. Well, there may be, but they will have been set up earlier and so you can't say I didn't warn you.

But doing it takes time. It's nitpicking. Tedious. Mind-dulling. All of the above. And yet it has to "sparkle" on the page or the editor (and readers) are going to toss the book across the room, yawn and say, "Why bother?"

I want them to bother.

So . . . if you don't hear from me for a few days it's because I'm threading and sorting and lining up ducks and then I have to go back and finish the book. This is what usually happens. The last part gets written after everything else is sorted out. And there's no quick way to do it. It's just a matter of slogging through.

Right. Back to work. Have fun out in the real world.

And don't forget to sign up for the wedding bells II contest which is ending September 1st. You can do it on my website .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home