Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The best holiday


Thanksgiving is, without doubt, my favorite holiday.

It's so non-commercial. It transcends any particular religion. It exalts family and friends and togetherness. It began out of a tradition of sharing and helping each other out. And it has really good food associated with it. What's not to like?

So, after last night's 'research' watching the film Lucy Gordon sent me starring 'the male coming up on Monday' (which was very interesting, indeed and yes, Lucy, he does indeed strip well), I've managed to write a few words. But tomorrow is Thanksgiving here and the male on Monday is going to have to wait while I throw myself headlong into preparations for Thanksgiving.

So far this means I've made four loaves of pumpkin bread (two with cranberries, two without), have put together my mother's traditional lime jello salad (it's not really a salad, but if you serve it on lettuce, you can pretend it is), have made enough cranberry sauce to feed the Russian army, have washed the serving dishes, and am in the process of wrapping Christmas presents. No, we don't have Christmas on Thanksgiving. But I have to wrap the presents - they're stacked on the dining room table. We can't eat unless I get them off there.

It's going to be a small group tomorrow. Somewhere between 5-9 people, depending on who shows up. Most of our kids live too far away to make the trip, especially if some of them are coming this way at Christmas. It doesn't matter. They're here in spirit -- and other people are here to enjoy the food and the company and the tradition and the memories.

When I was a kid we had Thanksgiving at my grandparents' house every year. It would have been an 'over the river and through the woods' experience, except we were living in Southern California and they lived five miles away over the railroad tracks and through the suburbs. Still, it was fun. The food was great. The conversations were absolutely predictable. My uncle George always asked why we weren't having rutabagas. My dad always commented on how moist the turkey dressing was. My aunt Martha always lost her brandy flask and sent us kids looking for it. And my grandmother always scalded all the dishes -- and very nearly us -- when she was rinsing them after she'd washed them after the meal.

I remember it all -- and I've done my best to recreate the joy of it for years. I discovered a number of years ago that you don't actually need to wait until the fourth Thursday in November to do it. The Canadians, for example, do it in October. And we did it in October one year, too.

One of our sons has not been able to be here for Thanksgiving in fifteen years. But one autumn he was here for a week at the same time my aunt and cousin were visiting. This is the aunt who cooked the turkey every Christmas, the one who made fantastic (very moist) dressing, and didn't possess a brandy flask. She loved the holiday as much as I did.
And so while they were here, we had Thanksgiving. It was the third week in October. It could have been the third week in June. What mattered was the spirit, the ritual, the food, the sharing. It was, I think, one of the best Thanksgivings I've ever had. I remember them all fondly, but that one, perhaps, more than all the others because it wasn't dictated by time, but by our hearts.

5 Comments:

Blogger anne frasier said...

have a great thanksgiving, my friend!

22 November, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thanks, Anne. My post was almost the flipside of yours. And there were times growing up I would have felt that way. But somewhere along the line I took a different view of the holiday. Wish you were here! Have a great one -- even if it's at Bobby and Steve's. (That was the name of the place, wasn't it?)

22 November, 2006  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Have a fantastic Thanksgiving, Anne. one of the great things about moving to the UK was I was able to jetison the food I didn't like -- ie sweet potatoe and marshmallow and jello salad. They do bring back memories of my childhood though.

23 November, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Michelle, did they put the sweet potato WITH the marshmallow and jello salad? Or was it sweet potato and marshmallow as one thing and jello salad as another? Around here (locally, not my very own dining room) marshmallows seem to be a universal condiment. I expect to see them on the green bean casserole any day now!

Thanks, Trish! I'll be giving thanks for you and your friendship! Nose to the grindstone, girl, so you can make that 50,000 words!

23 November, 2006  
Blogger Anne said...

Hey, Anne, Happy Thanksgiving.

How about sharing your recipe for the pumpkin bread or your mom's lime jello salad? I've never had a jello salad.

And re your post after this (which I couldn't seem to respond to) you do too get blog visitors from Melbourne! Me!

And Homebush is in Sydney -- it's where the Olympic Games were held. And Long Gully is in Bendigo, I think --it's one of the Australian Gold Rush towns, anyway.

24 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home