Monday, December 18, 2006

Tea For Twelve


In fact there were thirteen who turned up for tea today -- a baker's dozen, the glowkid said. It was a lot of fun despite the fact that I so rarely get down my mother-in-law's very good china and serving stuff that I always end up washing it again at the last minute and trying to remember where half of it is.

Organized aren't necessarily us.

But, as my friend Nancy reminded me, everyone will have a good time. They don't care if everything matches. Good thing they don't. But she's right -- everyone did have a good time and several even said, "Maybe you could do this every year?" Hint, hint.

In fact we have done it every year since glowkid was two and had fallen in love with a teapot. But she's not always here at Christmas, so sometimes we do it at Christmas and sometimes we do it in the middle of June or July. Anyway, it is always well worth doing.

Now we are off to Chicago in the morning to see the King Tut exhibit at the Field Museum. This is glowkid's Christmas present -- and her mother's. The weather seems to be cooperating, which is very nice to know. And I hope it continues for the rest of the week so she gets home to Texas, I get home from Chicago, and Youngest Son and his wife get home for Christmas. As so many people are traveling at this time of year, I have fingers crossed that everyone gets a spate of good weather for traveling.

I've had some emails asking for the recipes for some of the things we served at our tea yesterday. Most people who weren't here want the biscotti recipe. Those who were also want the cranberry-orange cookie recipe and the Grasmere gingerbread recipe. I'll post the first two as soon as I can, but I've put in a link to the Grasmere gingerbread one so you can get started on it right now if you're desperate for more fattening food to serve for the holidays! It is wonderful, though -- especially with a nice cup of tea or, some tell me, coffee.

No idea if I'll have a chance to get online tomorrow night or not, but if not, I'll report on King Tut when I get back.

By the way, there are those who did very well with the NaNoWriMo scheme that I didn't do so well at. Several of us were pacing each other -- checking in periodically -- and I'm delighted to report that Trish Morey and Bronwyn Jameson have both finished their books and sent them in. They didn't do 50000 words in November, either, but they did a lot more than I did, and they have finished books to show for it now. Congrats, ladies -- and enjoy the holiday coming up!

What? You don't remember there's a holiday? Well, it's not too late. And at least you got your books done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home