Saturday, April 07, 2007

Purple Shoes and Inspiration

Liz says she has her box. I expect she will be writing out of it very soon. She was looking for a pair of purple shoes to put in it, and I stuck a pair in my last post, but apparently they didn't do the trick.

So how about these, Liz?




It's funny, really, what small details will do for inspiration. Last week when I was buying Easter cards to send to the grandkids, I also found a couple of great dog cards. I'm a sucker for dog cards, especially ones with golden retrievers. So I got one which Kate Walker can expect to see turning up in her mailbox next month for her birthday.

At the same time I found a terrific card with an Irish wolfhound on it. He's just sitting there -- huge and charming -- and there's a small child hugging him. Or trying to. She can't quite get her arms around him. But she's leaning her head against his back, her eyes are closed. She's absolutely blissful. And the dog is clearly thrilled with the attention.

It's a Liam card -- if I ever get him out of Montana and off to Ireland, that is.

So it's my inspiration for today -- and for the next few days. Keeping that card beside my computer makes me want to get them all to Ireland right now. I want to see that expression on Liam's face.

I'm almost finished with Twyla Tharp's The Creative Habit. Once I get done, I'm starting all over again with my own copy! Brilliant book.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Fielding said...

Oh my goodness! Aren't they just gorgeous! Now I know why Sylvie didn't want to take them off. Conveniently forgot she had them on in fact so that she'd have to buy them...

You are such a friend! Thank you!

(For someone who cringes every time she writes an exclamation point this post will take some beating!)

07 April, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Ah, Liz, glad you think Sylvie will like them. They are bright and sparkly, that's for sure.

And for me that was the best kind of shoe shopping -- I didn't have to go anywhere or try any on!

As for exclamation points, I write them when I think they belong, which is far too often. And then I try to go back and edit them out. Otherwise my people will sound like they are on uppers...

(so tempted to put an exclamation at the end of that last sentence. Slapped my own hand before I could.)

07 April, 2007  
Blogger Liz Fielding said...

I'm not one of the world's great shoppers, Anne. Shoes I can cope with. We have a lovely little shoe shop in a place called Llandeilo where you just sit on the sofa and get sorted on a one to one basis. No hassle.

But clothes. I just hate having to try on clothes! (Oops. Sometimes there's just no other punctuation mark that will do.)

I think I was turned off the screech mark when I read a book in which it felt like every sentence ended in an exclamation mark. It felt like being shouted at. (I didn't read the whole book.)

08 April, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home