Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Signs of Spring


It's that time of year again.

No, not deadline time, though it is that, too. Or almost.

It's time for rhubarb.

I got all excited because I thought I saw some in the grocery store the week before Easter -- and I thought, wow, that's early. And then it turned out to be some weird sort of red vegetable. Not the sort of thing you would want to make a pie out of. Or a crisp. Or a cobbler. Or a cake.

But now it's here. And so I've been taking a bit of time from the grindstone to track down my rhubarb recipes in preparation for making something good this coming weekend.

When we first moved to Iowa we lived next door to a lady with a collection of the world's best rhubarb recipes. She passed several on to me. One that I always make is called "Rhubarb Delight" -- and because you're all such nice people, I'm passing it on to you. I said I would last year -- and I never did. So here it is, and just in time, too.

Depending on the size of pie pan you have, you can adjust the ingredients up or down. I like this because it uses a fair amount of rhubarb (and I always add more because I have a big pie dish).



Elda's Rhubarb Delight
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine (I wouldn't use solid shortening here. Butter is best)
5 Tablespoons powdered sugar
Mix this together, reserve 1/2 cup, pat the rest into the bottom of your pie pan. You can, if you have enough, pat it up the sides, but DON'T put it out on the lip of the pan or it will burn and you won't enjoy it as much.
Bake this 10 minutes at 375 degrees

Mix together:
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
pinch of salt
1/4 cup flour
Add:
2 1/4 cups of rhubarb, chopped fine.

Pour this filling on top of the at least slightly cooled bottom crust. Bake about 35 minutes at 375 degrees. Cool before serving.

Enjoy.

If Blogger ever lets me post pictures, I will. Today it's resisting. So I'll put them up when it deigns to cooperate. If you're desperate for a look at the finished product click on that, the scroll down to June 9th. Or wait until tomorrow and hope that Blogger lets me put the photo in here.

I'm going back to Flynn who is in bed waiting for Sara -- who has other ideas.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

You should be here. We have Hecks in the garden and we have rhubrab - huge amounts of rhubarb. Just needing you to come and help us eat it. Sid isn't interested. The Hecks aren't interested . . . Pounds and pounds of rhubarb. Enought to make a dozen Rhubarb Delights . . .a hundred . . .

19 April, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Oh, hush! I'm trying to decide if rhubrab is more enticing than rhubarb. They both sound pretty good and one could make a change from the other.

I'd love to come and have some. I'm trying to find my rhubarb cake recipe so I can post it today. I've got my rhubarb crisp recipe ready to go.

And I'm hurtling into the middle of chapter five. Life is good!

19 April, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home