Saturday, October 20, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mom!

If I can wish Hugh Jackman a happy birthday from my blog, I can wish a happy birthday to a far more important person in my life -- my mother.

It was her birthday today. She turned 88.

She's the youngest of three first cousins of her generation still alive and kicking. The other two are 91 and 99. They think of her as "the baby." She thinks of herself as "venerable" and "aged" and "stove up" and says she can barely get around.

But she got up and down my steps quite well this evening. She tolerated the dogs bumping her with their noses and Micah laying his big head in her lap while she tried to eat her birthday cake.

He loves her, but he loves cake even more. And I finally had to banish him to the kitchen.

I think she had a good day. She got to talk to her grandkids. And she got new pictures of the newest great-granddaughter.

And she got a fair number of cards even though she said to me the other day, "They're getting fewer. Who's left alive to send them?"

Well, a few people are. And they all wished her a happy birthday.

So do I.

Thank you, Mom. And happy birthday. I can't begin to tell you how much you mean to me.

7 Comments:

Blogger Madeline said...

Hi Anne, Wish your Mom a very happy birthday and all the best wishes from me. I'm glad she was there to spend it with you. Hugs, Mads:)

20 October, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thank you, Mads. I will certainly give her your best wishes. She'll appreciate that! And I'm glad she was here to spend it with me, too. (She wishes she were in California!)

21 October, 2007  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

Happy Birthday Anne's Mum!

I'm glad you had a day together - and cake. Please give her our best wishes too and tell her there's one more card on the way if it didn't arrive in time.

21 October, 2007  
Blogger Kate Hardy said...

Lovely post, Anne. Happy birthday to your mum.

21 October, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thank you, both of you Kates, for your good wishes. I'll certainly pass them on to her.

21 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday, mom!

october is a big birthday month around here. my brother's birthday is today, and we're celebrating neil's tonight even though it's not for a couple more days.

21 October, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thanks, Anne. I told my mom about your new house last night. She was fascinated!

Wish Neil a happy birthday. We've got 5 in five days in our family. Son-in-law and three grandsons in the next two days!

21 October, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home