Saturday, February 16, 2008

Heroes?

Well, in some peoples' lives they were.

The man on the far left is my great-grandfather. And this is his saloon in Sumner, Iowa. The photo was taken in 1899 by his son, my grandfather, then age 18, who was working for a photographer that winter.

I don't know who the other men are. I'd love to know. So if you have family in Sumner, or know someone who did, show the picture around and see if we can identify some of them.

In case you're wondering what on earth I'm doing with this -- I'm trying to pull the threads of my life together. I'm taking a terrific online course from Ed2Go on using Photoshop Elements 5.0 (which I took so I could finally figure out how to do something with the software I'm supposed to be using to put photos on my website). And every week I get two lessons.

I did lessons 9 and 10 this morning (and this afternoon) and then I went off to mess with some of my own images. The guys in the bar just seemed a natural to practice on.

What? You thought I was going to mess with the perfection of Hugh-in-a-towel?

I'm in Neely's head at the moment and she's messing with the interiors of some condos she's working on. So while she messes with that -- using my software and hers -- I can mess about with the guys in the bar.

All I can say is, Must've been a cold winter in Iowa that year.

Kind of like this one.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Madeline said...

Anne, that is such a wonderful picture of your great grandfather and his friends. Did you photoshop the picture? If you did, I have to say that you did a really great job. I'm still learning how to make my pictures look better with photoshop. I'm afraid that I'm not having much luck yet.

Thanks for sharing that wonderful old picture with us. Your great grandfather was a handsome man.
Mads:)

17 February, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great picture Anne. Is that a fur coat the man in the front is wearing? I hope you manage to find out who the other people are.


Chris.

17 February, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Mads, Yes, I sharpened up the pic and did some adjusting with photoshop, but Grandpa did most of the work! Great-grandpa wasn't bad in his young days. He was in his late 60s there. It's lovely to have the pictures, though. Wish my grandfather had taken more of them. He's got some great ones of his sisters. As I get them worked on, I may post a few.

17 February, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Chris,
Yes, that's a fur coat. It must have been very very warm. And I'm wondering exactly what kind of fur. Rather looks like bear to me.

I'd love to know who the rest of the folks are. My grandfather, true to form, wrote the date and exactly what washes he used to create the photo -- nothing about the people! Sigh.

17 February, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home