Sunday, January 27, 2008

He did it!

No question about it.

Seb's my hero.

I don't know how he's going to deal with Neely. Frankly, I don't care.

All I know is, after standing there last night watching me flail about and bang my head against my computer in frustration, he said, "Let me" -- in just the right tone of voice.

No condescension. No "I can do it better than you, stupid woman." No "move over and let the expert at it."

Just a quiet, "Let me." With even a hint of question in his voice.

Who knew he had it in him to be tactful?

So I let him. I'm a sucker for polite.

He didn't know how to do it either. Not at first. And he did a bit of cursing under his breath and muttering about software design and more especially about the folks who write manuals without telling you anything you want to know. But he persevered.

I got on with writing my book review for another project, and periodically I checked with him. Once, early on, he kind of smiled wryly and said, "Why isn't Flynn Murray doing this? It's his book."

Which it is -- I needed to put up the cover for One-Night Love Child on my website, which is what started all of this.

But before I could reply, he said, "Never mind. We're almost there."

And, amazingly enough, we were.

Or he was. Anyway, he did it!

He got the colors matched and the layers fiddled with and a little consultation between him and my webmistress, and voila, we have a cover -- on the website, properly tilted, with the right color background. And a preliminary contest page, too. He got them both up -- despite the error messages and "you can't do that" flashing signs.

My hero. Mr Competence.

Kate Walker would tell you that's one of the hallmarks of an Anne McAllister hero. He gets the job done. He is -- whatever else he might not be -- competent.

I owe Seb a story for that.

He just lifted one of those very expressive brows and said, "Oh, yeah? I do you a good deed and you think that gives you license to make me suffer?"

Obviously he had been listening to our discussion about what makes a hero great.

"Not suffer," I said. "Well not much. Only so you'll grow. Change. Become more than you already are."

"More?" he said. The brow hiked a little higher. Then that gorgeous knee-wobbling grin flashed at me. "As in . . . even bigger?"

Men!

Of course, I ignored him. "Scram!"

He was still laughing when he went out of the room.

But now that he's gone, I can tell you that I do admire competence in a hero. And honor -- and a sense of humor.

Yes, I think Seb will make it as a hero, after all.

In the meantime, let me know what you think about a hero with a sense of humor. Does it work for you? Or not?

Is passion serious stuff? Too serious to laugh? Why? Why not?

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Margaret McDonagh said...

Well done, Seb, what a star.

But I cannot tell you, Anne, how insanely jealous I am that you have a Nathan Kamp cover for Flynn!

As for your question ... yes, yes, YES to the sense of humour. Passion may be serious stuff, but a hero has to have the capacity for fun and laughter, too.

Love,
Mags xx

28 January, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Whose cover, Mags? I didn't know. I thought it was lovely. Much much nicer than some I've had, but I didn't know who did it. I shall have to remember that.

You know I agree about the sense of humor. It's all those lovely layers of emotion -- the deep passionate ones and the lighter sometimes ironic ones -- that make heroes memorable.

28 January, 2008  
Blogger Margaret McDonagh said...

Anne, Nathan Kamp is one of THE hottest romance cover models who has been on various Harlequin, Kensington and mainstream book covers in recent years. He is yummy. I saw on one of the websites about him that your new cover was one of his and it was great to see it up today. You lucky woman! Will email you a couple of pics to whet your appetite in recompense for sharing the name of a potential future hero with me!

Love,
Mags xx

28 January, 2008  
Blogger Anna Campbell said...

Mags, just to rub it in, Nathan is the cover model for Untouched too. He looks absolutely gorgeous protecting my poor set-upon heroine (mind you, some of the setting upon is by the hero, but she doesn't mind that too much - g!). Anne, I LOVE a competent hero. I find that so sexy - perhaps because I'm so hopeless with that everyday stuff. And a sense of humour is absolutely essential - it's one of those things that make me think he's a keeper. If he can laugh at himself, he's probably OK. Yay, Seb! I told you, Anne, that he'd come through when the (computer) chips are down!

28 January, 2008  
Blogger Margaret McDonagh said...

Anna, you are ganging up on me now, it isn't fair! Must rush to examine your cover. And goodness, who wouldn't want to be set upon by Nathan Kamp?! I am going to have to beg and plead with my poor editor to join the Kamp Cover Gang at some point.

Anne, hope you got the pics - enjoy!

Love,
Mags xx

28 January, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Oh. The model. Gotcha. Sorry, I was thinking you meant the artist who did the cover. Shows what I know! I've been out of the loop too long.

But then, I had the same terrific guy on nineteen different covers of mine -- and he could have gone right on doing them for me forever(though I admit that Nathan is very nice indeed and a good choice for Flynn).

Anna, I will go get Untouched from the other room and have a look at its cover more closely. I've just enjoyed the book. I hadn't paid much attention to the cover. That'll teach me!

I've been thinking about other heroic traits -- or things that make a hero. Will be getting to more of them this week. Thanks for commenting!

28 January, 2008  
Blogger Anna Campbell said...

Hey, Anne, I'd MUCH rather you enjoyed the book than gawked at the cover model ;-) I think your priorities are in exactly the right order!

28 January, 2008  
Blogger Madeline said...

Hi Anne, As a reader, I think a sense of humor is a definite plus in any hero. I got a chuckle out of your blog about Seb. Thank you! I needed the laugh.

I almost hate to say this, in fear of Spence coming after me and telling me off, or worse but, I'm going to say it anyway. I'm already falling in love with Seb. I can just picture him taking over your blog. Tell him if he keeps being good to you, I promise to buy lots of copies of his book, and give them to all of my friends to read.

Be sure to thank him for helping you with your computer problems. If he keeps cooperating and lets you finish his story, I'll love him forever.

All the best, Mads:)

29 January, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Anna, Matthew was better between the covers than on it!

Mads, Seb is pleased. We won't tell Spence. How about that? He's probably too busy conquering the real estate world to read my blog regularly anyway. And I'm sure Sadie won't tell him.

Seb will be pleased if you buy lots of copies of his book, but since it hasn't even been written yet, he hopes you will look out for Flynn's book first -- and PJ's if it ever shows up in America.

In the meantime, he's doing good things with the computer, so he's still in my good books and I'm enjoying him. But trouble hasn't hit the fan yet. It will!

29 January, 2008  
Blogger Madeline said...

Anne, Flynn and PJ's books are already on my list. As soon as I can get them, I promise that I will but, I'm still going to wait patiently for Sebs story. Good things are always worth waiting for even if trouble does hit the fan a few times along the way.

Mads:)

31 January, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home