Friday, January 18, 2008

A Little Cooperation


I can hardly believe it.

Sebastian is cooperating.

He seems quite happy to have my attention again. We sit down at the computer in the morning and he hops right to it. He's taking charge, getting things done, snapping his fingers with impatience when everyone doesn't just 'jump to' and do what he wants.

How quaint. Wonder how long it will last.

Well, I'm not going to ask. I'm just going to sit back and watch -- and type. He's meticulous and detail oriented when he's absorbed in a project (he's an architect). I figured on that. But the rest of the time -- in his daily life -- he just 'gets things done.' They don't matter. He's focused on what he thinks is important, and the rest can go hang.

Looking around his high-rise condo, I can tell you he's definitely a minimalist. His place is all very modern, sleek, unadorned. No clutter in Seb's life. Not much 'life' either, from the looks of things.

Of course he'd disagree.

But good grief, talk about a workaholic.

I haven't introduced Neely yet. She's coming along later this chapter. He isn't going to think much of her, I can tell you that right now.

She sets his teeth on edge -- and he doesn't even know her. Not really. He just thinks he does. He's got her pegged, knows what she's after.

And he's not happy about it. He's going to do something about it, too.

Uh-oh.

I have my Seb and Neely box out on my desk, and I'm discovering I need to 'paper over' some of it since the houseboat moved from San Francisco to Seattle. I feel things shifting with the move. I see Seb is harder-edged. Doesn't suffer fools gladly -- and there are a lot of 'fools' in his world (he thinks).

Wonder what else will change?

Probably a lot. Books do that. So do characters.

I should have included Seb's cooperative spirit in the Seven Things no one knew.

I certainly didn't.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Margaret McDonagh said...

Good to hear that things are steaming along. Wish I could say the same. Perhaps your Sebastian could give my Nathan and Annie a kick up the rear end and pass on a few hints on cooperation. I'd be heartily grateful.

Love,
Mags

19 January, 2008  
Blogger Christa said...

I guess with letting Seb sit for a while, he had time to think of what direction he wanted to go huh?

19 January, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Mags, I wish you luck with Nathan and Annie. I had a Nathan once who was a lovely hero. Maybe I should send him your way to see if a little of his cooperation will rub-off on yours. I think I'm going to need all of Seb's just to get through his book.

Christa, I hope you're right. He knows which direction he wants to go in. He just needs to get the right 'in' to do it. He's got lots of other stuff already going for him. Wish us luck!

20 January, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Seb is doing his job here and helping you in this project!!

Kate

21 January, 2008  
Blogger Madeline said...

I'm so glad that Seb is back. I hope he continues to cooperate.

Right now I'm sitting back, looking at the heavens, and praying very hard that Seb doesn't take another vacation. It sounds like his story will definitely be worth waiting for.

Mads:)

21 January, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home