Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mom Camp

Last year while two of my grandkids were attending the local university's sports camp, my daughter and I and my cousin's daughter held our own camp.

We called it "mom camp" because two of us were moms and we were definitely looking for a break. The third got sucked in by proximity, and is the better for it.

We all enjoyed it so much that we're about to do it again. The cousin's daughter arrived today, timing her plane's appearance for the few minutes between thunderstorms. Clever girl, that one. And she and I are making plans for the week.

My daughter and granddaughter arrive on Saturday. Mom camp will officially begin on Sunday once the kids are deposited at kid camp.

But we're getting a head start. We're lining up books to share and DVDs to watch and places to go and recipes to make. Last year we tackled several out of Jeremy Jackson's Desserts That Have Killed Better Men Than Me.

And let me tell you, Michelle Styles -- and whoever else is listening -- that book is definitely up there among the Twyla Tharp books that you should own.

Maybe not on the same subject. But Jeremy is a man who loves his recipes.

And I gather that, just as Twyla hails the cab everyday as a part of her routine, Jeremy takes his turn in the kitchen with regularity.

Judging from the recipes we made last year, they are worth the effort. If you want a break from Twyla or Save The Cat or writing your own manuscripts -- or doing whatever you're doing -- Jeremy's book is worth a look.

We are also deep into watching the second season of Foyle's War. Yes, we know the fifth season is on television right now. But we can't ever seem to get an hour and a half at the right time when people aren't calling on the phone or the local weather demons aren't busily scrowling warnings past so much of the screen that you can barely see Michael Kitchen (who should not be missed).

So we are watching the DVDs. Great stuff.

So . . . we've got recipes. We've got DVDs. I've got some good books which I'll share with you as I share them with the rest of the mom camp gang. We'll go to the museum one day and shopping nearby one day.

Anyone got any really great suggestions? We'd love to hear them.

If you had a whole week to do what you wanted -- within reason and you can't travel for it -- what would you do?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

I think you have the bases covered food, DVD's, books. Ah maybe music for background noise when reading

11 July, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Yeah, music is good. We'll see if we can come up with some good stuff. Suggestions, Christa? Anyone?

11 July, 2008  
Blogger Christa said...

Well then you also need the gorgeous hunk who will change the DVDs, bake/cook those recipes and serve them, change cds, flip pages and bring us anything our little heart desires;-)

11 July, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Oh, heavens, yes, Christa! How could we have left him out. Maybe Hugh-in-a-towel? You think? Or . . . ?

11 July, 2008  
Blogger Anne said...

How about you make a camp journal/scrapbook with photos of you all doing stuff, little journal entries, drawings by the kids, recipes and photos of what you made, pics and ticket stubs from the movies with comments, souvenirs from excursions - that sort of thing. Would make a lovely keepsake...
And for a music recommendation, try Katie Melua.

11 July, 2008  
Blogger Anne said...

whoops, I misread -- I thought the kids would be there too.
If it's a moms only camp, how about you each nominate an indulgence that you otherwise wouldn't do: a day at a spa, a hot air balloon flight, a mud bath, a really swish outing where you get really dressed up...
Oh and how about making up some home-made beauty recipes?
I'm playing Katie Melua now -- I hadn't played her in ages. I do love her voice and songs... some of them have been themes for my books.

11 July, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Anne, great suggestions. I'm not familiar with Katie Melua, so will check her out.

Will take a look for spas and hot air balloon possibilities, too. I don't think any of us are into swish outings -- not when we can barely find a pair of shoes among us! But it's a nice thought!

12 July, 2008  
Blogger Liz Fielding said...

I'm not good at relaxing in a positive way -- I usually slump in front of the telly and last night I, too, was slumped in front of a re-run of Foyle's War. Until they decide to do a post-war series that's all we have. Michael Kitchen is just so... so... completely perfect.

A day at a spa being pampered sounds good to me. Non-strenuous walks. Talking to friends. No puddings, though. I have a responsibility to the wedding outfit.

13 July, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Yes, Liz, I totally understand the Responsibility To The Wedding Outfit. I, however, have no such responsibility hanging over my head this summer. Unless you count the being responsible to the annual checkup come September which will make me at least sit up and take notice mid-August (right after returning from SF and Seattle!).

And I agree re Michael Kitchen. Couldn't be better. Though sadly I've heard he feels there will be no more Foyles because he doesn't think anyone wants to see Foyle's Peace. I wouldn't mind. In fact I'd love it, but I doubt he's listening to me.

13 July, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home