Saturday, July 26, 2008

Sister Camp

I got a good week's work after Mom Camp on Christo and Natalie. I rewrote one scene more times than I want to count. But I think it got better and tighter after each run-through.

Now I'm on break again.

I don't do this playing hooky all that often. But it's going to happen frequently for the next 3 weeks. My sister has come to visit.

The only time we usually get to see each other is at the weddings of our respective children. But since now all the respective children have got married, we hadn't seen each other in three years (she missed the last wedding because it was the day before the first day of her school year. I missed her oldest son's wedding because it was the day of the Big Snow in Iowa that March and I wasn't there. I was here).

That said, we needed to find another reason to get together.

So she, who is the decisive, goal-oriented one, said last September, "I'm coming to visit you next July. I bought my ticket."

And, voila, here she is.

Well, it wasn't quite that easy because the airline changed all the flight numbers in the meantime -- not to mention the times. So when I went to check for her flight on the flight tracker gizmo, she was not coming from California, according to it, but winging her way from Fort Lauderdale to LaGuardia.

Huh?

Anyway, she got here. And we have been catching up. We have six days. Then I go to San Francisco and she goes home and then immediately flies out again to see her own kids and grandkids.

But for the moment, we're just enjoying Sister Camp -- talking, laughing, reading, eating white chocolate with blood orange and cinnamon, walking by the river, brushing the dogs, walking the dogs, reading, talking some more, laughing even more than that, comparing "Dad stories."

Sisters are a good thing. Everybody should have one.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

I got one of those sister people and she spoils me. She lives about 2 hours away but leads a very busy life. She was here twice last month and helped me paint the apartment. The spoiling part was a new couch, leather at that.(she said that was a early birthday present, really early cause birthday isn't til November:-)) When I go visit her to work on her garden, she usually sends me for manicure, pedicure, facial, haircut. Yup everyone should have one.

27 July, 2008  
Blogger EllenToo said...

Somebody lend me their sister, please. I have two brothers and they aren't the same. I kept telling my mom when she was expecting the youngest brother that I wanted a sister not another brother. Somebody didn't listen.

27 July, 2008  
Blogger priley65 said...

I love having sisters (5 in fact and 7 brothers) all older than me except one. Needless to say I was spoiled often. Although we don't get together like we would like we do talk often. I agree everyone should have a sister.

27 July, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Christa, your sister sounds like a peach! Lucky lucky you. I'm sure she enjoys your company, too, or she wouldn't be such a good sister.

Ellen, you'll just have to find one to be your "sister" at heart even though you don't have any of your own. I have a few good friends who live nearby who fill that role for me when my sister isn't here. And she isn't here often. So it's great when we get together.

Wow, Patricia, that's a big family. How lucky you are that you all enjoy each others' company. And yes, I guess you would be spoiled having so many big brothers and sisters around. That's great.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your sisters -- or lack thereof!

27 July, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home