Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Out of the woodwork . . . or a surfeit of heroes

Who'd a thunk it?

Spence has started a deluge. First he blogs. Then he comments. Then he blogs again. And now this morning Vittorio Corsentino showed up, muttering about Kate. And tonight some guy I've never met before, a Rafael Delacruz, turns up complaining about his author, Dom Guagliardi!

What is it with these heroes?

Do they have nothing better to do than complain? Whatever happened to competence? To fortitude? To honor? To taking matters into their own hands and acting heroic?

Thank heavens, Sadie was there defending my honor and the honor of authors everywhere. I think I'll go out and buy her a pair of steel-toed boots just in case Spence gets it into his head to make any more irritating observations.

And no matter what he says in the comments section, there were thunderstorms today! Big ones!

Does he expect me to keep writing and fry my computer? And him? Bet he didn't even think about that.

I suppose he thinks that just because he's a 'character' and not a 'real person' he can be 'backed up' and thereby has more lives than a cat (sorry, Sid. He drove me to this). Well, maybe he can. But today we were living dangerously. I was writing as fast as I could -- because he kept talking and talking and talking -- and I didn't even have time to back up. And then the thunder came. Or rather, then the lightning came, and then the thunder, and I knew I'd better quit because two years ago on a similar day I got my fax machine fried.

So I was watching out for his welfare. And mine.

And tonight, because the skies are clear I'm going to go back and let him finish his scene -- and thus the chapter. And then, I hope, he will let me get a good night's sleep.

As for Vito and Rafael, I hope they behave, too. Best of luck to you, Kate and Dom, in keeping your heroes in line. If they persist in this behavior we might have to send them to Remedial Hero School.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan Rix said...

ROFLOL!! Anne, this is great! The problem is, Spence and the other heroes could be a bad influence on Matt if he sneaks up behind me while I'm reading your blog. I've turned the tables on him and I'm blocking him out for a change - until I've moved house anyway.
Oops, got to go, I can hear him coming, he mustn't catch me on the computer...

07 June, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

MsCreativity,
You can't let Matt anywhere near the computer while you're moving house! He would create all kinds of havoc if you weren't there to supervise!

Have a good easy (if there are such things) move and come back ready to tackle your hero again. In the meantime, Spence and I will be battling on.

07 June, 2006  
Blogger Spence Tyack said...

There will be no steel-toed boots for Ms Morrissey. Not if she knows what's good for her. I will see you at the computer in half an hour, McAllister. The weather forecast is clear today (your mother told me). So I expect we will get a lot of work done.

07 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home