Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Meet The Hecks

The motorway coming east from Manchester was closed for a ways on Sunday. It may be closed today too for all I know, but Sunday was when we were coming this way.

So we got off the motorway and drove through numerous villages en route to Kate's home. My favorites (or should I say, favourites) were Great Heck and Little Heck. I don't know what Hecks were when they were at home -- and got villages named after them, but I found the names very impressive indeed. (I was also fond of Snaith, but today we're talking about Hecks).



There was, however, no middle Heck. I feel this is a shame. The world cries out for a Middle Heck. Also, perhaps, a Lower Heck and an Upper Heck and a Heck If I Know. But they are not there. Yet.

So, I've solved the problem of the missing Hecks by naming Kate's resident hedgehog family after them. There are, as she's told you, 3 generations of them. And last night they all appeared to enjoy the cat food Sid & Co didn't finish.
The chap at the top of the page is Little Heck. He's a newbie in Walker Household hedgehog terms. The guy or girl on the right in the middle is Middle Heck. And the one who has taken exception to being photographed and is hieing off at a rate of speed (the one who reminds me of the three-legged Manx chap) is Great Heck.

I never thought hedgehogs had long legs. I certainly never thought of them as having knees. Apparently they do. That seems like it would be a good useful simile -- as shy as a hedgehog's knees. Or something. Anyway, I am delighted that Blogger has allowed me to post them and I hope you enjoy them all. And I hope any hedgehogs currently residing in the Heck villages do not take offense at having their village name usurped.

Stay tuned. We're off to London tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole Flockton said...

Hi Anne

Reporting in for your cluster map!

Nicki here from Perth, Western Australia!!

Hope this shows up on your cluster map.

Good to see you enjoying your time with Kate.

Cheers
Nicki

24 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home