Friday, November 24, 2006

Geography Lesson

Since Neocounter 2 has arrived on the sidebar I've become woefully aware of how bad my geography is.

I don't do too badly with countries. But I'm falling apart at the cities. I need to find out where Long Gully and Homebush Australia are -- and quite a few other places as well. Does no one in Sydney or Melbourne read romance? Or visit blogs? Not mine, they don't.

What about Illzach, France and Damansara, Malaysia? I need a new world atlas. I think I'll have to ask for one for Christmas. And then one of those big wall-size maps that I can stick pins in with a pin for every visitor. It's exciting, discovering all these different places.

Thanksgiving was lovely. Actually too short. It was over almost before I got to sit down and enjoy much of it. Good thing I enjoy the doing -- the baking, the chopping, the slicing, the cooking, the sampling -- as well, and even the cleaning up.

The other good thing about Thanksgiving is that it's not just an excuse to get together with the people we love, but also to make a stab at cleaning up the house. And it didn't look bad, if I do say so myself.

The Prof put the table back under the window this morning after he took out the leaves. And when I came downstairs and looked at it, I was terribly impressed. There was nothing on it save a plant. Amazing. See, if we hadn't had Thanksgiving there would have been two stacks of Christmas presents, some mail order catalogues, a bread pan, half a load of folded laundry, and a new DVD (still trying to find time to watch Hugh in Scoop). Too bad I didn't take a 'before' picture so I could show you the difference. But I think you can imagine, and you probably don't want the gory details anyway.

Tonight I'm going to be putting the finishing touches on my 'male on Monday' post for the Pink Heart blog. Then I'm going to throw myself at Flynn's synopsis and -- dare I hope -- find enough time to watch Scoop.

I'm also going to Google Earth and find out where you all are. If you look up and see me, wave!

7 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Ah but it may depend on where the server is. I see that I show up as United Kingdom without a city.

25 November, 2006  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

I've been having fun with the city listings too - some I can guess who's visiting from where, others are just unknown. I'm grateful for the the way a map comes up if you run the 'hand' over the names so you can see where the country is at least. So far my favourite city name is Brandy Bottom in Australia - no idea where inOz! And Espoo in Finland

Glad you had such a lovely Thanksgiving and I hope you enjoy Scoop.

Word verification hzahm - a magician's magic word? Like Shazam!

25 November, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Michelle, does that mean that wherever your server is, it's incognito? I know Trish Morey shows up as a place near Bendigo even though she lives nearer to Adelaide, I think. Weird. Depends on the server, too. Anne Gracie has had two different ones. Odd.

Kate, Brandy Bottom is intriguing. I'm continually amazed at all these places. It's wearing out my Google Earth and cutting into Flynn time. But it's lots of fun!

The Male on Monday is done!

hqahtb -- a hot tub?

25 November, 2006  
Blogger Ally Blake said...

Anne, Homebush is in Sydney, it's where the Olympics were held.

And I looooove that you guys make up meanings for your word verification too! I do that all the time and even have thought about making it a contest on my blog but through everyone would think me simply odd.

vdhyrd - a palace of the viking gods, somewhere east of Valhalla

Ally

25 November, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thanks, Ally, for identifying Homebush for me.

Love the word verifications. It's interesting how they usually seem to call to mind something -- however odd.

Fun idea for a contest. But I suppose you'd have to depend on everyone getting good combinations of words.

Yours looked like a valkyrie with venereal disease to me!

Mine is lkoalbe: which is like a slightly mutated Australia bear sitting in a eucalyptus tree.

25 November, 2006  
Blogger Bronwyn Jameson said...

I'm sure there are lots of visitors in Sydney and Melbourne, Anne, but the places are showing up as suburbs. Like Homebush. I, on the other hand, am told I'm in one of two little villages that are kinda in my area but a decent half hour's drive away. Not sure what that means in terms of ISP.

Looking forward to the Monday Male.

25 November, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thanks, Bron. Well, at least it's improving my suburban geography! And distracting me from what I should be doing. Always a good thing.

25 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home