Wednesday, November 01, 2006

In the beginning . . .

After tackling Julie's exercise yesterday in "first pages" I was inspired enough to grab the new book by the horns and tackle it. I didn't stop and think really about where I was going to start it. I just started.


I am writing about Flynn and Sara who were characters in The Great Montana Cowboy Auction. And I don't know yet if Presents/Modern is going to be interested. But I hope they are. It would not be specifically a "Code of the West" book because those books were Silhouettes and this one won't be. I don't know yet what it will be -- or if it will be. But I'm hoping.

They must have been doing something for the past five years because all of a sudden they are flying off the page with lots to say and plenty 0f (God help me) backstory. It's so much fun to see them again -- to find out what they've been up to while I've been doing other things. And they're very eager to get to work. So maybe they will amaze me and just take over.

I'm kind of hoping they will because I've always been tempted by the NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) challenge of finishing a first draft of a 50000 word book in a month. They do this every November and I've always been intrigued by the notion that it could be done. And I believe it can be -- even if I've never done it -- because sometimes with perseverence and cooperative characters, miracles to happen.

Marry Sunshine took me 6 weeks to write (well, 9 really -- but only because I took 3 weeks off after chapter 6 to think about the rest of the book). And, of course, because the book I had been working on stopped dead flat seven chapters in and refused to budge. It was vital that Marry Sunshine cooperate -- and thank God it did.

I'd love to have Flynn and Sara have a story that came rushing out like that. I would also love for my editor to love them as much as I do. Wish us all luck!

8 Comments:

Blogger anne frasier said...

i used to write like a hare; now i write like a turtle. not saying the turtle is gonna win in the end. just sayin' i'm a turtle. :D

01 November, 2006  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Wishing you all luck. I am sure it will be great!

I am not doing NaWriNoMo because I hate the little worm things showing my progress, and then I freeze. Actually the whole concept makes me freeze.

But if I do it my way, I can write without a problem.

Word verification syawl

How I feel about my first drafts.

01 November, 2006  
Blogger Jopee said...

Hi Anne! I, for one, am looking forward to a Flynn and Sara story. I'm a bit hazy on the details now but I definitely remember wanting a story on them after I read Cowboy Auction. Have to go dig it up and reread. Good luck with the writing and TPTB! :)

02 November, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic news, I can't wait to catch up with Flynn & Sara again, whatever line or banner they are published under! I'm so glad you have got off to a flying start and they have heaps to say. I hope they keep speaking to you and you make good progress.

Best wishes,
Mags

02 November, 2006  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

I'm so looking forward to Sara and Flynn coming back. I always knew Flynn had great potential as a hero and I'm looking forward to reading about it.

I have written one book in just under a month - but it's not something I would want to do again - that was one of those where Necessity was definitely the mother of Invention. Like Anne, I've had my 'haring' days but with the current book, even a turtle would zoom past me - writing like a slug, anyone?

Kate who has asfyhn as her word verification - sounds like a slightly inebriated person trying to say 'That's fine' - as fyhn . . .

02 November, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Anne, I've always been a turtle. But I think that, even turtling my way through this for a month, I might be in better shape than if I wait and try to go like a hare at some later date.

Michelle, I'm "unofficial" entirely regarding Nanowrimo. I just like the spur of trying to do something against the clock -- especially since it's a self-imposed deadline. I think all writers have to find their own way to work. It's definitely not one-size-fits-all!

Jopee, I hope we get to have a Flynn and Sara story. I need to sell my editor on the idea. Thanks for saying you think there should be a story. I hope she agrees with you.

02 November, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Kate and Mags,
Thanks for the good wishes. Flynn and Sara say thanks, too. Well, actually neither of them are in the mood to say anything right now. Sara is dumbstruck (but not mute) and Flynn is cracking his knuckles and running his fingers through his hair.

02 November, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, Go for it Flynn & Sara!!!

02 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home