Saturday, October 21, 2006

Only a little chop . . .

Halfway there. On Spence and Sadie. The worst half -- the tsunami half -- is behind us. And ahead of us is, if not smooth sailing, then at least only the occasional white cap. I think we're going to make it. I'll let you know on Monday.

In the meantime, the family history fair went extremely well. I think that the organizer had a perfect idea -- do half a day and do it well and leave them wanting more. There was almost no publicity for this fair. It was mostly word of mouth that brought out participants. And we had over 60 of them. I was amazed. I think we all were.

And everyone seems to have been pleased with the result. It's on again next year-- and the evaluations were all positive. We even got some that said, "Do those again!" Sounds good to me.
There were several I would have liked to have heard -- one particular speaker on Irish research especially -- and unfortunately she spoke at the same time I did. So I guess I'll have to go out to lunch with her sometime in the near future and pick her brain that way.

She's off to Salt Lake City tomorrow for a week's research at the Family History Library there. I've never been there. It's one of the places on my To Visit list. But since I got to do Cornwall this year, I'm not expecting any other dreams to come true. Not right away anyway. And I couldn't have learned what I learned in Cornwall by going to Salt Lake. They don't have the records microfilmed that I consulted. I got to use the originals! It's amazing to sit there holding a document in your hand that your seventh g-grandfather held in his hands -- and made his mark on -- over 200 years before.

Back to work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home