Sunday, October 08, 2006

When Writers Party

Many writers are extroverts, strange as it may seem. Or maybe they just get so tired of their own company that when they get in groups they make a lot of noise. Or maybe it's just a lot of people in a room that makes a lot of noise. But the day of the AMBA lunch, we made a lot of noise. It was a cheerful, glad sort of noise that happens when people who rarely see each other finally get in contact with each other in a three-dimensional way. Ordinarily we email, we talk on the phone, we read each other's books. But it's a rare day we all turn up in the same room.

It's a lot of fun. I really enjoyed meeting everyone I hadn't met before, and renewing old acquaintances with those I had. Several people asked me -- and Kate -- for a picture of the two of us. So here it is.

Had a chance to finally catch up with Kate Hardy. I've had a sort of on again off again conversation about local history and houses with Kate for months, but had never met her before. But she is terrific. I just wish I'd had more time to spend with her.

I got to wave at Sharon Kendrick several times across the room, but never had a chance to talk (best intentions. sigh). I got to meet a couple of Dutch editors and one from the German office.
Best of all, I got to meet some of the new Presents authors as well as some of the Tender/Romance authors I hadn't met before.

I got to catch up with Michelle Styles (thanks for the honey, Michelle. It was greatly appreciated!) and Julie Cohen. I got to meet Julie's "bump" currently called Elvis, who may (one hopes) have another name by the time he arrives on the scene.

I got to eat breakfast before the lunch (heavens, we did a lot of eating that day!) with my dear friend Lucy Gordon with whom I once wrote a book, Blood Brothers, for Silhouette Desire (and some kind soul just read it after all these years and sent me a fan letter which pleased me no end).

Then I got to visit with terrific historical author, Joanna Maitland, and chat with fellow American Presents author, Sandra Marton, brand-new Irish Presents author, Abby Green, the wonderful Margaret Mayo who was leaving for Australia shortly after the lunch and is probably there now (lucky her!). There were so many people it was impossible to catch up with them all.

And after we'd had a marvelous lunch there, we went to tea (see, what did I tell you about eating) at Fortnum and Mason's. Of course all I could manage was a glass of lemon something or other, but the atmosphere was worth it! And then we were off to Brooks' -- the gentleman's club we often read about in regency romance novels, which is still right where it always was in St James. Only now, on special invitation, women are permitted to enter its hallowed halls.

What fun. I snapped more pix of the environs than I did of people, I think. At least now I'll have a good idea of where all those regency heroes went off to brood or sulk or get wasted or bet against each other whenever I read about them in books.

Got to visit with my editor there, briefly. Also got to meet more authors and many editors who hadn't been at the lunch. I took a photo of Kate Walker and her editor Maddie Rowe and one of Sophie Weston and Sheila Hodgson (not Sophie's editor, but one who edits lots of other people).

I also got to congratulate Liz Fielding on her RITA award which had been sent to the editorial office and which was presented to Liz at Broooks'. It was great fun, a delight to see so many people. And, of course, there was more food. Everywhere we went there was food.

You wouldn't think we needed dinner -- but we did need a chance to unwind after so much revelry. So Joanna Maitland and her charming husband invited Sophie and me back to the RAF club for a quiet dinner. It was where the AMBA lunch had been held. But this time it was in a quiet dining room, very low-key and elegant. A perfect end to a wonderful, exhausting day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to see you again!

10 October, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Great to see you -- and Elvis -- too, Julie!

10 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! Fabulous pictures. :) Wish I could've been there.

11 October, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Wish you had been, too, Michelle!

11 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home