Saturday, October 28, 2006

the fun part of writing

Eureka! I've found it -- the fun part of writing!

I spent a small chunk of today in the office supply store. It was marvelous. Paper. Pens. Flash drives. Memory cards. Index cards in multitudes of colors. File boxes. Graph paper. Notebooks. All fresh and bright and new, exuding promise.

It's all that potential that's seductive. It's all that possibility that intrigues, tempts, beckons. Of course, having written 58 (yikes!) books, I know that there will be drudgery involved. I know that characters will come along, like Spence and Sadie did, who will give every indiction of being marvelous, bright, witty and sexy -- and within pages they will turn surly, truculent, irritating and, worst of all, mute.

But now -- who cares?

Now is the time to think positive, to dream impossible dreams, to know that Flynn and Sara (who weren't mute last time I met them) might actually get a chance to tell their story -- and allow me the chance to meet again all those old Code of the West folks I've been missing. Dunno. Not sure. Maybe. It makes me smile just to think about it.

Or maybe I will do something else -- something new and different. Different scheme of things. Different format. Different genre perhaps? Dunno. Not sure. Maybe. Again, I can feel giddy at the prospect.

I know now to relish this feeling. It's all too brief.

I have a new ClustrMap, I've just discovered. So, Nicki in Perth, you are finally a dot in my world! And so are lots of other new dots. My goal this time, in case you know someone who lives there who would like to be a dot down the road a piece -- is to get dots from Invercargill, probably my favorite place in New Zealand, Peru, because I always wanted to go there, and Fiji, because that's where Spence and Sadie is set.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hey, Trish (waving at the Adelaide dot on the ClustrMap)!

Good to see you! Thanks for coming. If you know anyone in Invercargill, tell them to stop by. I really want a dot in Invercargill!

And yes, I agree about the passion for stationery, chocolate and Hugh Jackman. Covers all the bases I think!

02 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home