Saturday, December 30, 2006

Readers and Books . . . and Brides

Kate Hardy had an interesting "quiz" on her blog today that she pinched from someone else, so I decided to pinch it from her.
What Kind of Reader Are You?
Your Result: Dedicated Reader

You are always trying to find the time to get back to your book. You are convinced that the world would be a much better place if only everyone read more.

Obsessive-Compulsive Bookworm

Literate Good Citizen

Book Snob

Fad Reader

Non-Reader

What Kind of Reader Are You?
Create Your Own Quiz


It appears that I am a "dedicated reader." No big surprise there. I don't know what the other possibilities were. You're welcome to take the quiz by clicking on the link in the table. If you do, please come back and tell me what you turn out to be (although if you're here, I can make a fair guess!).

Speaking of readers, I've just sent four boxes of books to my kids. Youngest son dragged them down from the attic while he was here (it's an ongoing project, this de-stuffing the attic) and I went through them and put them into piles depending on who I remembered reading them most (and who has the readers among the grandkids). And then I called them to see if they wanted me to give them away or send them on.

And guess what! They said, "Send them on!" Every one. So I did. The books have departed. The ceilings sag slightly less. It is possible to wend one's way from one side of the attic to the other without stepping over umpteen boxes. You only have to step over five or six now.

Some of the favorites were books we never had when they were growing up, but ones that had to be checked out on a regular basis from the library. Now even libraries don't have all of them, so we haunt used bookstores to get the truly memorable ones.

My middle son has now collected all the Henry the Explorer books that he loved when he was a little boy. And there is a brand-new boxed set of Paddington in my office just waiting for him to say the word. (He doesn't know to say a word, though, because he doesn't know they're here -- unless he reads this!). But when they're needed, they're ready to go.

Of the ones that came down from the attic, all the horse books have gone to my daughter for her daughter. The Black Hand Gang and The Secret Hideout went to Middle Son. Youngest son decamped with something about motors. And all the sports books (Jordan and Magic and lots of Sports Illustrateds) went to Oldest son for his oldest son. Yes, truly, the attic is much improved.

Now, if only I could get them all to major in German and Japanese and Dutch and Korean, I could palm off lots of my own books written in languages I can't read!

The Brides Are Coming . . . !

It's almost time for the Brides to have their contest! Kate Walker and Liz Fielding and I all have books coming out in February with the word Bride in the title. So we decided to creat a "Here Come The Brides" contest beginning January 1st.

Watch this spot for info about all the books and contest details!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a sort-out of daughter's books. So there was a pile that's going to be passed on to my great-nieces, and a pile she says has to go in the loft for her children (bless). This made lots of space in her bookcase... which has been magically filled again. (She has a pact with me not to tell her dad how many books I buy, as long as I buy her the same amount *g*)

We didn't have any loft space when I was growing up, and I think my parents sent all my childhood books to charity shops. Your comment about horse books jogged my memory: I need to introduce my daughter to them (Ruby Ferguson's "Jill" series and Elyne Mitchell's "Silver Brumby" - plus "My Friend Flicka").

Son is a dedicated sci-fi reader. But if I can get hold of a certain set by Susan Cooper, I think he'd enjoy it. And I might lend him my Alan Garners.

Books are pleasures you can share with generations, aren't they?

31 December, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Kate,

Yes, indeed, they can be shared across several generations. I remember my grandfather giving me a copy of a book called Two Little Savages (a novel about two boys living on their own in the wilds of 19th century America. He'd read it as a boy. I loved it! At least one of my boys (middle one) has read it and loved it, too, as did my daughter.

Don't forget the Black Stallion books for your daughter. And Misty of Chincoteague and, of course, as she gets older, pretty much anything by K M Peyton that has horses in it.

Do you mean the Dark Is Rising set by Susan Cooper? That was greatly beloved here. It's still one of my favorites.

And if you can lay your hands on a book called The Thirteenth Is Magic, that was probably my all-time favorite as a child. I finally tracked down a copy at a bookshop in Wales (Thank goodness for the internet!) -- and it was just as well written and funny and entertaining as I remembered it to be.

31 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home