Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Real Life

Taxes. Deadlines. Estimates. Contracts.

And all that fun stuff.

So Christmas is over and real life is back with a vengeance. I've spent the day dealing with all of the above. The quarterly adding up of little bits of paper. The one step at a time, no skipping to the end just to get there faster sort of stuff that I absolutely hate (Myers-Briggs will even tell you it's not my thing). It's like going to the dentist -- which, come to think of it, I have to do this week, too.

But at least now the worst of it is done -- besides writing the checks, that is.

And I have one fun thing that I can do. I never got to make my collage before Christmas. I was expecting to have time to do it with the glowkid. But we got so busy baking for the tea that there was never time to get into the collage. I've been thinking about it, though. Planning a bit in my head. Envisioning Sara who is becoming less Kate Beckinsale and more a combination of Eva Green (the Bond girl) and Winona Ryder. Maybe bits and pieces of each.

I bought a couple of magazines, too -- British home mags, which aren't Irish, I know, but in the midwest of America, you take what you can get. And I have my stash of Irish castle pics already here. And, it goes without saying, there's James Purefoy for Flynn.

I'm getting ideas. All of them, even the worst, are so much more appealing than adding columns of figures.

And I'm enjoying the last couple of days with Youngest Son and his wife. They are gone this evening so I'm clearing up the last bits of tax stuff. Also trying to write my "Christmas letter" which traditionally tends to get sent the week after New Year's. There is, after all, just so much one person can do in 24 hours a day. And the Christmas letter always seems to get short shrift until Christmas itself is long gone. But then it becomes a recap of the year -- and that's not exactly a bad thing. I just have to stop thinking of it as the "Christmas letter."

Where are we on New Year's Resolutions? Should I be starting to think of them? Probably. Getting better organized seems like a good idea. Writing more and faster? Well, I'm not sure how that will work, but it's a nice thought, though probably impossible.

What about you? Any New Year's Resolutions you want to share? I could use some inspiration.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think up my New Year's Resolutions the day before and the day after New Years. Usually they last about a week or two so this year my New Year's Resolution is to quit making resolutions!
Definitely looking forward to the "Christmas letter" this year, because I'll actually understand what's going on instead of just pointing at the paper and saying "Ooh pretty doggy!" hah..

27 December, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Smart idea, not making any resolutions, Caitlin. Maybe I should do it, too. But then I might never get the Christmas letter written. Er, I mean the "recap" letter. Keep an eye out for it, but don't hold your breath!

27 December, 2006  
Blogger Christa said...

I usually don't make resolutions. I never keep them so I don't make them.
I put some of the Christmas decorations away today but left the tree(it's ceramic) and the lights strung on the balcony(they will come down after new years

28 December, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Christa, I think I might have to this year just to prod myself a bit. Maybe a few vague ones. Ones that it's not likely I'm going to fail at but ones I can use to focus my efforts. Like: get at least 1000 words written a week when actively working on a book.

That's do-able. And it makes sense -- even if I have to rewrite it all at the end.

But I don't make them either if I think I'm going to fail at them. That doesn't make sense.

I haven't put away any Christmas decorations yet. But we're still entertaining family and I'll get it done over the weekend. I hope!

28 December, 2006  
Blogger Christa said...

I have company coming tomorrow too and they are staying til Tuesday. Hmm maybe I'll put them to work taking down the lights. The tree is staying, all year long. It's got a nice little music box in it and I can hear Silent Night whenever. Besides I don't think I have any where to store it.

28 December, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

What a good idea, Christa, keeping up the tree. I have snow globes I keep around all year long for exactly the same reason -- I can listen to each particular carol whenever I feel like getting a boost.

I'm wondering, though, why every night when I walk the dogs I find myself humming, "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." Wishful thinking, perhaps. If so, I'll probably be sorry soon!

29 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home