Monday, April 30, 2007

Not Quite A Lady


Every time Loretta Chase comes out with a new book, I waiting at the bookstore to buy my copy or, in this instance, waiting for the postman to bring it as I'd pre-ordered it from amazon.

Not Quite A Lady arrived on Friday. I had it read before the weekend was over. I could have read it much more quickly if I hadn't had to write Flynn and Sara. But I need them to support my book-buying habit, so they take priority.

But I'm happy that I stole the time to read Loretta's latest. Lady Charlotte Hayward, the lady who isn't quite, certainly seems on the surface to be everything a lady ought to be. She's kind, generous, helpful, loving, a good daughter, a fine friend, a doting older sister. But Lady Charlotte has a secret . . . and that secret is what makes her 'not quite a lady.'

Darius Carsington, the youngest of the brothers featured in Loretta Chase's most recent books, is not interested in 'ladies' in any case. Women are fine, but 'ladies' require commitment and marriage, and Darius is interested in neither. He is that multi-faceted man -- a scholar and a rake -- and he sees no reason to change.

But once Darius meets Lady Charlotte, both their lives and their priorities begin to change.

Not Quite A Lady is a wonderful, lively read in which Loretta Chase's deft wit and humor mingle with deep emotion and which brings complex characters into conflict with society's rules.

I thoroughly enjoyed it -- right down to the pigs.

If you are looking for a good read, Not Quite A Lady is worth a look. And if you enjoy it, start picking up Loretta Chase's backlist, particularly Lord of Scoundrels, Mr Impossible, and Captives of the Night. They're all marvelous. Others are, too, but you can find that out for yourselves.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Oh Brilliant Not Quite A lady is out. I pre-ordered mine months ago.

I adore Loretta Chase. And as when I sent her an email thanking her for writing Mr Impossible, she was busy trying to get Not Quite A Lady done, and was kind enough to say that the email helped fight the doubts away, I am really looking forward to reading it.
It will go to the top of TBR pile when it arrives.

30 April, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

You'll love it, Michelle. There's a good interview with Loretta posted on last Sunday's Word Wenches blog, too. If you haven't seen it, you might want to check it out.

Anne

01 May, 2007  
Blogger Annie West said...

Anne,

Just caught up with your blog and had to say how jealous I am - I haven't yet got my hands on this book. I'm so looking forward to it. Mr Impossible is one of my all time favourites, and Lord of Scoundrels is in that list too. It will be such fun to see what Loretta Chase has done with this next one.

Annie

04 May, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

You'll really enjoy it, Annie. At least I hope you do. Drop me a note and let me know what you think!

Anne

04 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home