Friday, April 20, 2007

A Surfeit of Rhubarb, part III


This is for those of you, like India, who have a surfeit of rhubarb. This is rather like, I suppose, an exhaltation of larks or a pride of lions -- a surfeit of rhubarb.

We have not reached the surfeit stage yet. In fact it's just getting going here. But we had that early spring followed by two weeks of The Return of Winter, which scared the bejesus out of anything that wanted to grow. So there is a certain amount of reluctance on the part of the local flora.

That does not seem to be the case in India's neck of the words (India the author, not India the country. India, the author, writes for Harlequin Presents. Watch out for her first book which is coming sometime later this year or early next -- don't know which. Also, she is the mother of the feline, Ruby, who has the hots for Sid. Just so you know.)

Anyway, India has asked for more rhubarb recipes. I am providing this one, which a friend assures me is very good, though I have never tried it. This year, provided we have plenty, I'll be trying it, too.
Rhubarb Almond Cake
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9 inch round cake pans.
  2. Beat brown sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla together until smooth.
  3. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to sugar mixture alternately with milk. Beat until smooth.
  4. Stir in rhubarb and 1/2 cup almonds. Pour into prepared pans.
  5. In a small bowl, combine white sugar and butter or margarine. Stir in 1/4 cup almonds. Sprinkle topping over batter.
  6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until done. Makes 2 9" cakes.
  7. I wouldn't stack them and make a two layer cake, but you do what you want.


Flynn and Sara are working hard. If we keep these rhubarb recipes going a while I might actually be able to finish the book.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

Or then again you could just have plain old (but delicious_ stewed rhubarb (or even rhubrab) with rich, thick, creamy Greek yoghurt.It has to be the Greek stuff.

Those who don't have the 'tangy tastebuds' as much as my family can drizzle some clear honey over the top. But I - and my sister - prefer it 'neat'

21 April, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh-- thanks so much, Anne! I've only just discovered this (have been banished from computer by daughters claiming the old 'homework' excuse) and am mighty glad I did, as husband has just dumped a whole load more rhubarb on the kitchen table.

I think I might start with the almond cake recipe, as almonds are my all time, last-supper, food-of-the-gods weakness. (Although, given that I have to shoehorn myself into a dress for the Savoy lunch on Friday maybe I should step away from the almonds and rhubarb RIGHT NOW....)

22 April, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Kate, yes, rhubarb straight up, as it were, is pretty enticing. And the rhubarb yoghurt I had at your house (direct from Tesco, as I recall) wasn't too bad either!

India, I'm so glad to be of help. And I quite agree about the almonds = food of the gods equation. And I wouldn't worry about it causing the dress not to fit. Don't you know that calories consumed in the effort to rid the garden of excess rhubarb don't count? ;)

22 April, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home