Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rhubarb, part II, the sequel

Sid is spelling it rhubrab, which works, I suppose. It probably is just as tasty spelled that way. He doesn't think so, as it clashes with his preferred salmon. Oh well. More for the rest of us.

I've come up with the rhubarb cake recipe (thanks to Nancy the cat slayer who keeps her recipes in better order than I do, and is able to lay her hands on my recipes even when I can't. And no, she didn't slay any cats, but we have photographic evidence of her with Archie of Ballyvolane looking reasonably, if accidentally, murderous).

Onward . . .

In case you have more rhubarb (or rhubrab) than you know what to do with -- and in case you have already made so many rhubarb delights that your nearest and dearest are saying, Enough already, here is the cake recipe, which I actually prefer (well, it's a toss-up, really. They're both very good).
Rhubarb Cake
preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 ½ c sugar
½ c shortening
2 eggs
cream shortening and sugar, add eggs. Beat together.

2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups flour
2 cups chopped rhubarb
1/3 c milk
Stir dry ingredients together.
Add them to creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
Fold in Rhubarb.
Spread in 9" by 13" pan (you can grease and flour the bottom lightly -- or at least grease it).
Sprinkle the batter with sugar or cinnamon and sugar.
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Keep them coming, Anne! These two recipes will make a little inroad into the armful of rhubarb reproachfully awaiting my attention in the utility room, but there's plenty more where it came from. I hereby make it your responsibility to find uses for it!

(Just be glad you don't live closer, or I'd be begging you to come round and do the cooking part too....)

20 April, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

I'll do what I can, India. But I'm afraid the cooking is your responsibility. Unless you can talk Sid's friend Ruby into helping with it. But if she doesn't like it any better than he does, I'm afraid you're stuck. I'll try to get you another recipe or two. Meanwhile, try these!

20 April, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home