Thursday, August 23, 2007

Cleaning House


I am supposed to be updating my website with the new software that is supposed to be allowing me to do it. But the new software has caused my computer to crash 4 times, and when I called support what they told me to do so terrified me (it was those warnings about "back up your hard drive first or you will be sorry" in big red letters. Not to mention the fact that it was a DOS program that wanted to know if I wanted to read it in English or Japanese. Then proceed, it said. Yeah, right.) that I chickened out and called Fred, my friendly computer guru who is going to save me.

Tomorrow.

So in the meantime, I wrote some on Seb and cleaned my house. Mostly I cleaned out two cupboards that have old LPs in them. Remember records? I was amazed at how many we have. Even more I'm amazed at how many we have that aren't mine. I called my daughter and said, "Do you recognize this?" And read her off names that meant nothing to me. She waxed nostalgic for her '80s rock and for her Janos Starker and her Pablo Casals cello albums. What a girl who listens to that was doing with Metallica is something I don't want to think about too closely. She obviously has broader musical taste than her mother whose LPs ranged between the Beatles and folk music with some Haydn cello concertos thrown in. Oh, and a little Faron Young and Merle Travis.

It was definitely a trip down memory lane. The question is: what am I going to do with them? Ebay? A trip in the dark of night to the nearest charity store to drop them surreptitiously by the door and run because I'm afraid they won't take them otherwise?

Suggestions, anyone? Kate H, I'm sure you'll have good ideas. You're a music person.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate Hardy said...

If you really, really have to get rid of them (DH and I haven't got rid of ours even though we've replaced a lot on CD *g*) then I reckon ebay. You might have some collectable stuff there. (Especially if your taste runs to folk - if you have any Nick Drake, the vinyl is VERY collectable and we're talking lots of money for originals.)

Or maybe a garage sale?

Biddy might have some better ideas :o)

24 August, 2007  
Blogger Madeline said...

Anne, I agree with Kate. Ebay is the way to go. If you have some old albums that are in very good condition, you can get some big bucks for them. There are collectors who are looking for old record albums in good condition and, are willing to pay top dollar for them.

Good Luck with finding a home for your Record Albums. Please let us know what you decide to do with them.
All the best, Mads:)

24 August, 2007  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

We haven't got rid of our LPs yet. And LPs are all becoming quite collectable. My dh is still kicking himself getting rid of most of his record collection before he went to Hong Kong...I don't want to think how large that was.
I would agree with Kate H -- ebay would be the way to go. Like most things -- some will will worth pennies but one or two might be worth quite a lot more.

24 August, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thanks, all. I will check them out in some LP collector's guide before I deep six them or leave them on a street corner. We have hung onto them because these are albums we liked and they do evoke memories. But there comes a time when you have to start thinning out things. Now's the time.

cheers,
Anne

24 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home