Thursday, June 19, 2008

Where Have All My Red Dots Gone?

Those of you who drop by here frequently might have occasionally glanced at the sidebar and noticed the ClustrMap which shows the whereabouts of people who drop in here. Or if not the people themselves, at least where their IP address is coming from.

I love seeing those little red dots turn up. Between ClustrMaps and Neoworx I can get a feel for the global scope of my readers and casual visitors. And it's always a thrill to see new dots or discover the flag of a new country.

Neoworx's flags turn up right when the visitor appears. ClustrMaps redraws its maps every time there is a 10% increase in the number of visitors, so there is delayed gratification as the numbers build. Below is last year's map. We've started over on the sidebar.

My 88th country was Albania. Someone from Tirana (waving to Tirana!) turned up last week. And I was eagerly awaiting my red dot on Albania.

But -- alas! -- ClustrMaps did their yearly archive of my map yesterday. And now I have just a few dots again. No dot in Albania. So I hope whoever it was in Albania comes back. And I hope lots more people from lots more countries visit. It's always a thrill.

I know Kate Walker's flag list is well over 100 now -- creeping up toward 150 when last I looked. I have 12 more to go to reach 100. Hmm.

Could we have a concerted effort here, do you think? Write to your friends in Burkina Faso and Chad and Bolivia and Norfolk Island and tell them to drop by. Not to mention all the places that already have flags but whose dots have been archived!

# # #

Tomorrow is the day I'm giving away a signed copy of The Mephisto Club by the brilliant talented personable Tess Gerritsen, who is -- it goes without saying -- a terrific writer who scares me to death in her books.

Maybe if you're into the less terrifying stuff, you won't want to read Tess. But if you have friends who love that 'edge of your seat' 'what's going to happen next' and 'oh God, it's worse than I thought' then they really need to drop by and comment to get in the drawing.

Or better yet, just tell them to go out and buy Tess's books!

# # #

Post script: 89! I just got my 89th flag -- from Colombia!

Ask and you shall receive, I guess. Anyway, welcome, Columbia, whoever you are. So glad you stopped by.

And to add to the international flavor of the day, the postman just brought books -- The Santorini Bride in its Polish edition and a trade-sized paperback of The Boss's Wife For A Week in Dutch (I think. Well, it's almost German but not quite. But I can't see a place of publication. Must go examine it more closely).

In the meantime, who will be country #90?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

Well, I'm here - and there's my dot over to the East of england. That's also where you'll find Sid ACOSB. If you see Tess again please tell her that my son loves her books.

Kate

19 June, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Will certainly tell her if I see her, Kate. But she lives in Maine and doesn't get out this way often -- and I haven't had occasion to be in Maine for over 10 years! But maybe in SF at RWA??? Then you can tell her yourself!

19 June, 2008  
Blogger Dina said...

that's cool to see where everyone visits from.

19 June, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

I agree, Dina. I love checking the dots and the flags!

19 June, 2008  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Yes, I know what you mean about the dots and the archiving.
I am currently looking forward to my new map, so I can start collecting dots all over again. It can be very exciting.

20 June, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

You have a vast amount of dots, Michelle. I've got dot envy just looking at them!

20 June, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home