Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Celebrating a First Book!


Several years ago I ran into a writer on the eharlequin site called Anna of Cumberland. She was bright and sparkling and witty and had a wonderful voice.

When I first 'met' her, Anne Louise Lucia (aka Anna of Cumberland) was writing a book. And then she'd written a book. And then she was trying to sell the book. And then she sold it!

It was called McAllister's Wife. Is there a better title than that? Surely not.

Still her publisher changed it. I'm not sure when the title got changed (I'm sure Anna had nothing to do with it because, of course, she wouldn't tamper with a great name like McAllister), but now it's called Run Among Thorns, by Anna Louise Lucia.

And it just came out onto the shelves on June 1st!

I have my copy on order -- due to arrive tomorrow according to the tracking records -- and I'm dying to read it because I love simply reading Anna's blog. And I am soooo looking forward to a whole book by her.

I'm counting her continuing to have her wonderful voice, but now she'll be providing me with story and suspense and excellent characters (McAllister, of course, among them).

Sight unseen I'm recommending it. But I'm not the only one.

Kate Walker loved her book. Romantic Times gave it a 4 1/2 review. Harriet Klausner thought the suspense and characters and writing were all terrific.

I have no doubt that all this praise is well-deserved. And it couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Besides being a terrific writer, Anna is a terrific person.

She and her husband took my husband and me around Millom (of Cumberland) looking for dead relatives a couple of years back. I'd casually mentioned an interest in going there, and Anna, who went there frequently in her day job, offered to show us around. She did her homework, scoured the graveyard, looked up people in the register, and marched us all over downtown Millom in search of places my ancestors had once lived.

It was fitting to discover that one of them grew up in a place on Lapstone Road that is now called Greetings and is a bookshop! I hope they stock dear Anna's book and sell piles and piles of copies.

My copy of Run Among Thorns is going with me to Birmingham this coming week t0 be my solace when things get tough in government docs and law libraries. It will make a change!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

You'll love Run Among Thorns - I did. I read it in great, greedy gulps, enjoying every minute - and I would have snarled at any one who tried to take it away from me. It's emotional, exciting and enthralling. I didn't want to put it down

I envy you your chance to read it new.

Kate

04 June, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Now you're making me gnash my teeth as I wait for the UPS truck, Kate!

I should have pre-ordered it so it would be here when I got home from Missouri. Well, at least I'll have good bedtime reading in Alabama, though it may play havoc with my coursework!

04 June, 2008  
Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Oh ANNE! I've only just found this - thank you thank you thank you!

You've made me grin and blush and go just a little bit tearful...

Hopefully see you again soon. :-)

18 June, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Anna

Hope to see you again soon, too! I have fond memories of our trek around Millom -- and especially the Thai restaurant. What a delightful surprise that was.

I didn't have time to even open RUN AMONG THORNS while I was in Alabama, though I took it along in hope of reading it. I was swamped with work. But now I'm home and it's on the bedside table next up! Can hardly wait!

19 June, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home