Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I Told Her So


Hi,

I'm Seb. Anne's been talking about me on this blog for months. Worrying. Fussing. Wringing her hands. Muttering about deadlines.

It's simple, I told her. Write the book.

She muttered. She dithered.

She knows better. You just put your mind to it and you do it, I told her. You've done it before.

Yes, but -- she said.

No buts. You just get it done. It's what I tell my sisters. And my brothers. And my stepmothers. I tell this to a lot of people. Sometimes they even listen.

You have to focus. Know what you want to do and take it one step at a time.

"Bird by bird," Anne mumbled.

Well, I don't know about that. I didn't say anything about birds, but if it works for her, yeah, all right.

The point is, you have to have goals before you can accomplish them. Get my book done by May 1st, I told her. Simple.

And do it right. Again, simple.

I'm an architect. If I don't do it right, the building falls down. So I do it right. You should, too, I told Anne.

She said it wasn't that simple.

It is.

She got it done by May 1st. She took off to see her granddaughter and told me if the editor wanted revisions I could wait til she got back.

I said there wouldn't be any revisions.

She just looked at me.

Is the building falling down? I asked her.

She looked at me some more. She can look pretty exasperated. She also sighed. She sighs pretty exasperatedly, too.

Like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I know. No revisions. That's what the ed said today.

I don't mean to sound smug and arrogant and all that rot, but . . . didn't I tell her so?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Madeline said...

Hi Seb, I'm glad to finally meet you. I've been waiting a long time. You must have been good luck for Anne. No revisions? That's wonderful, considering the tough time you gave her. Smug and Arrogant? Well, I guess every man has a bit of both in them at times. I hope Anne introduced you to a woman who can put up with you.

It's good to finally see you here. Now try not to give Anne any more trouble.
Mads:)

21 May, 2008  
Blogger Margaret McDonagh said...

Hi Seb,

Thanks for stopping by with the great news that Anne's ed has passed your book with no revisions - two words that always bring a relieved smile to a writer's face and starts to unravel the knots of doubt in her stomach!!

By the way, all that talk about the birds? Should have been frogs in this case, shouldn't it?!

I can't wait to read your story and meet Neely, who I am sure has tamed you and can do the exasperated looks and sighs just as well as Anne!! I hope you have a long and happy life together.

Love,
Mags xx

21 May, 2008  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Oh fantastic news, Seb. Now Anne can get on to her next hero!

21 May, 2008  
Blogger Sebastian Savas said...

Mads, I wasn't the one who gave Anne the tough time. But yes, she did find me a woman I fully intend to spend the rest of my life with. It was worth whatever we all went through.

Mags, you might be right about the frogs. I heard from Anne that you contributed the chapter 8 frog. He's all right, that frog.

Michelle, yes, Anne can now go bother some other unsuspecting guy. I think she has my cousin Christo in her sights. I hope she finds him someone as great as Neely. He could use a good woman in his life, besides Lillie, his secretary, who is great but is old enough to be his mother.

21 May, 2008  
Blogger lidia said...

Great news Seb! It seems that you were right when it came to revisions. However, how long did it take you to realize that the "special woman" was right there in front of you? I bet that Anne knew that before you did.

Lidia :-)

21 May, 2008  
Blogger Dina said...

Hi Anne,

Been really busy, just popped in to say HI!

21 May, 2008  
Blogger Sebastian Savas said...

Hi Lidia, yeah, I'll give Anne credit for Neely. She's pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned. Not that I thought so at first, but hey, a guy's got to be able to make a few mistakes in his life . . .

And Dina, Anne says hi back at you. She's cleaning her office. I don't know how she can find anything in it, but she seems to do pretty well. Still, it looks pretty, er, awful.

22 May, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home