Friday, June 13, 2008

on the road

I didnt mean it literally when I said I was over my head earlier this week!

Not under water, at any rate.

But it's getting close to being literally true. We are in Paducah, Kentucky tonight, and we've driven through three torrential downpours today, and sat in a restaurant watching a fourth this evening. If we'd dared go out in it, we'd simply have been pounded into the ground by the sheets of rain or blown away.

At the moment I hear thunder and see lightning and there are way more sirens outside than I want to think about the meaning of. Paducah is a really neat city, and I don't like experiencing it this way. And I don't imagine the folks who live here do either.

Ordinarily we make the trip in one day -- but given the fact that coming south we had to ford a river in Illiois that was crossing Interstate 57, we thought a running start would be good so we didn't have to deal with floods in the dark.

That may have been a good move. Or not.

But I have been told that the dogs are well and the house is above water, so I guess we are in better shape than many.

Our eldest son, who lives much closer to the high water than we do, is keeping us posted. We're hoping for blue skies and light breezes and sunshine for everyone.

And for the record, yes, Natalie did drop out of law school. I'm getting my groove back.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Anne your not too far from me. I'm in Missouri. Paducah is about 3-4 hours from me. Great shopping center. Hope you're having a great time.

13 June, 2008  
Blogger Dina said...

Hi Anne,

I've visited Paducah when I was a little girl, I prob still have extended family there, but have no contact. Can't remember much though.

13 June, 2008  
Blogger Madeline said...

Hi Anne, I'm glad to hear that everyone is safe for now. I've been hearing some very bad weather reports about the weather out there. I hope the flooding stops soon.
Dropping out of law school is something I can relate to. I had to drop out, due to a severe lack of finances at the time. I think, I'm not only going to love this book but, relate to the heroine, more than any other book that I've read.

Stay safe and dry, Hugs, Mads:)

14 June, 2008  
Blogger Liz Fielding said...

Glad you're above water for now, Anne. I've been hearing the news and after last year's floods in the UK, know just how terrible it is for everyone involved.

My thoughts are with all of you.

Loved, One-Night Love-Child, btw!

15 June, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Kimmy, we left before the shops opened. Someday I hope to get back and spend some time.

Dina, you'll have to reconnect with your relatives. Paducah is a nice place!

Mads, Sorry you had to drop out of law school. My grandfather did, too, but one of his sisters became a lawyer. I hope you will inspire Nat -- she dropped out because she decided it wasn't her thing.

Liz, thanks for the good wishes. I remember the UK floods, too, though I didn't experience them firsthand. These are too close for comfort. Glad you enjoyed Flynn and Sara's book. Thanks for saying so!

15 June, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home